Thread: VL Drain Valve Photos?

Default VL Drain Valve Photos?

I received some new drain valve parts from Steve (VL Heaven) today. Nice quality! (I'm on a bit of a small parts buying spree lately.) I have a few questions I couldn't find answers to anywhere so I thought I'd post in case others can also benefit.

What order do the felt, cork, steel washers go in?

Anyone have a good pic of the drain catch lever installed? (is it notched side down?)

Any recommendations for a substitute for the Drain Valve Head Spring 479-29? (the small spring on the drain side, mine was broken, so not sure how big it actually is)

DrainValveParts.jpg

I had the one on my 1936 VLH leak and replaced the cork. These parts are IN ORDER of removal. I guess mine didn't have the "Packing Washer Felt"?? I hope this picture helps.
    Oil Drain.jpg
    Jim

AMCA #6520

Thanks Jim. That's progress! Helps to see the lower spring size too. I guess the steel packing washer is the part above the upper spring. TBD on the felt, maybe below the upper spring...

I assume that the lower spring just keeps pressure on the cork washer so it stays in place. I also remember that "C" Clip shooting off when I pried it off the rod. So... just a heads up on that! YES, I did find it! LOL
    Jim

AMCA #6520

sny,
    Photos of the catch/case drain lever on my '35 VLD. Hope this helps.
    William
    Attached Images Attached Images
    William Edwards, AMCA #10035

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I assume that the lower spring just keeps pressure on the cork washer so it stays in place. I also remember that "C" Clip shooting off when I pried it off the rod. So... just a heads up on that! YES, I did find it! LOL
    ok interesting, sounds logical to keep everything together. I don't have c-clip or a spring just one thin washer like in your photo. May have to improvise.

Quote Originally Posted by wideglide38 View Post
    sny,
    Photos of the catch/case drain lever on my '35 VLD. Hope this helps.
    William
    perfect thanks!

The felt packing washer is under the shaped steel washer in the top of the crankcase where the drain valve lever goes through. It must seal the drain valve so oil mist doesn't come out. It's usually still there under the steel washer, which is not often removed.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Slocombe View Post
    The felt packing washer is under the shaped steel washer in the top of the crankcase where the drain valve lever goes through. It must seal the drain valve so oil mist doesn't come out. It's usually still there under the steel washer, which is not often removed.
    Thanks Steve!