Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: control connection block and carburetor control rod question

On the list waiting for a new hip.
    Things grate away inside there if I move too vigorously.
    Tends to hurt a bit.
    Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
    A.M.C.A. # 2777
    Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Is the waiting list how your health care delivery system works or is it something else?

You got it.
    I can pay 20 to 25k and go private and it may get me in 3 to 4 weeks sooner.
    For 25k I think I can wait 3 to 4 weeks and get it done by the same surgeon at no cost to me what-so-ever.
    A.M.C.A. # 2777

I'm with Tommo in that Harley relentlessly airbrushed history by back dating part numbers in later parts books. Often they say 'fits 1924-40' or some such, but sometimes they don't. The Scheblers were nearly removed from the historical record by the 1930s policy of replacing them with Linkerts. If you had a 1925 JD and went into your Harley dealer in 1940 for a new carb, you'd probably be given an M41 as the only choice for replacement. Likewise the 1925-30 Mesinger 3 half pan seat, followed by the 1931-33 Mesinger, followed by the 1934-39 full pan seat with no holes in the base, followed by the 1940 and up full pan seat with drain holes which was made almost to the present day. Your Harley dealer would supply a replacement seat for your 1925 JD way different from that originally fitted, but pulled off the shelf with a -25 part number.

Schebler introduced the De Luxe carb in the late spring of 1922. There's an announcement in the May Motorcycle Illustrated. It's interesting that the 1 1/4" was available first; the 1" a few weeks later.

Bob Turek

Here's one for you guys.
    From 1925 to 1928 the HD Parts Manual lists a Zenith carb.
    I've never seen one either fitted or in the flesh.
    Has anyone ever seen one fitted to a Harley or does someone have one?
    How would your Judges react if someone turned up for judging with one fitted?
    A.M.C.A. # 2777

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyt View Post
    Schebler introduced the De Luxe carb in the late spring of 1922. There's an announcement in the May Motorcycle Illustrated. It's interesting that the 1 1/4" was available first; the 1" a few weeks later.

Bob Turek
    Bob!

So we just ignore the Service Station Manual, etc.?

I can do that.

....Cotten
    PS: Tommo!
    The only Zeniths I've held in my hands were for Hens.
    They were diabolical.

....Cotten
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 11-03-2017 at 05:19 PM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

I've been studying that front control coil bracket, specifically those two nuts. one is larger across the flats than the other and that same nut is also thicker. I understand why they cannot be small like the ones typically used.

On the rear part of the bracket, I THINK i understand that these two nuts tighten on the control coil against each side of the bracket....? is my understanding correct?

i guess my question is how those 2 nuts on the front part of the bracket are held in place...... Same as the two nuts on rear part of bracket, by the control coil coming from handlebar throttle control? (Obviously in the picture there is no control coil, or is there just a short piece of control coil to hold those two nuts in place?)

i am guessing those nuts are special and have the same thread as the control coil. I would imagine these nuts are also rare as hen's teeth and i'm thinking will need to be made up by using the small nuts to fabricate the larger nuts. On a long shot, does anyone have two thin and two thick nuts available........?
    Last edited by Steve Swan; 11-13-2017 at 09:01 PM.

Steve, One of the nuts you are referring to is like a short bolt that has an internal thread that matches the cable and external threads that a nut goes onto. It threads on to the cable, then goes into the bracket and a nut goes on the external thread to lock in place. I hope I'm making this clear.

Thanks John. Thanks for the explanation, I understand now. a special little critter. They're made of unobtanium and impossibillium. is the rear one like that also?