Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anodizing Panhead Valve Covers

It probably goes state by state. I see you're in NY, maybe that's why, no problem here in OH. It's amazing when you see all the restrictions on products in CA, I'd have to have a black market connection if I lived there.
    Bob Rice #6738
    He that conquereth his own soul is greater than he who taketh a city.

Quote Originally Posted by BigLakeBob View Post
    It probably goes state by state. I see you're in NY, maybe that's why, no problem here in OH. It's amazing when you see all the restrictions on products in CA, I'd have to have a black market connection if I lived there.
    You're most likely correct.

BigLakeBob, Were you happy with the last set done? Do you have any pictures? A friend of mine restores 63 Corvette aluminum center consoles. With his high degree of polishing, his clear anodizing is almost chrome like. Do you think the pan cover were like that back then? Does anyone have original pictures showing the original oem finish?

I have trouble putting pictures on here, can email direct if you like. Yes, I was happy. I did not go for a mirror finish, buffed to a good (great) finish but not mirror, still some minor scratches. I was wanting to reproduce the original look not overkill. Looking at original covers I do not feel HD polished them, but I do believe they were very smooth and not scratched coming out of the die they were stamped with. A production part then thrown in the tub or racked for plating. My opinion.
    Bob Rice #6738
    He that conquereth his own soul is greater than he who taketh a city.

Sadly there is no way to replicate the original finish. The pans were not polished, but were clear anodized over new brigth sheet that was formed and cleaned. So streaks and forming marks are captive in the originals, and once polished all those features are gone. Just the way it is.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Doubt I'll ever have mine judged, but I still like to do them correct. What sort of finish is most acceptable for AMCA judging? Mine are raw, so I can bring them up to pretty much any degree of "shine" before anodizing. And I'm sure the local hardware emporium has examples of aluminum. Now I'm tempted to bring them up to roughly the shade and shine of a real aluminum brownie pan I have in the kitchen...
    Ride it like you can fix it!

Quote Originally Posted by JSB55 View Post
    Doubt I'll ever have mine judged, but I still like to do them correct. What sort of finish is most acceptable for AMCA judging? ..
    JSB55!

Based upon previous posts on this forum, "simulated" should pass judging: http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/bbo...cadmium+finish.

As subjective as that may be, we understand why you doubt ever having it judged.

....Cotten
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 10-30-2017 at 11:40 AM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

They were "Bright Anodized". I had a shop that did them but unfortunately it closed.
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/