Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 53' Fender Badge

I'm not saying to glue a new stud on, I'm saying to glue the studless side of the emblem onto the fender. Silver solder is the only fix that I think would hold up to the vibration, and possible "spring tension". Unfortunately, silver solder will change the color of the emblem due to heat. That's just my opinion, I gave it in the spirit of trying to be helpful. I am not a shill for the industrial glue complex
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Quote Originally Posted by exeric View Post
    I'm not saying to glue a new stud on, I'm saying to glue the studless side of the emblem onto the fender...
    Hmmm, Eric!

Wouldn't it then read: VHO?

(Sorry in advance, I couldn't help myself....)

Silver solder is the only fix that I think would hold up to the vibration, and possible "spring tension". Unfortunately, silver solder will change the color of the emblem due to heat. That's just my opinion, I gave it in the spirit of trying to be helpful. I am not a shill for the industrial glue complex
    If the replacement stud is as I described, a shaved screw with a flat retained at the base of its head, then the tension is between the nut and the flat screw head against the fender with the badge retained by the solder.

How much force does a badge put on its fasteners?

And certainly silver-solder has more tensile strength, if really necessary since the screw should support it all.
    If really worried about the badge, then wrap it in a wet cloth, and skillfully silver-solder it. "Skillfully" is the key word. I might be able to do it (not offering: http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/bbo...+announcements), but I'm sure there are many, many jewelers out there who could do it better.

Soft solder should be better than Gorilla Glue and peeling the paint upon removal.

....Cotten
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 10-27-2017 at 03:59 PM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

glue the thing on there and forget about it.

Quote Originally Posted by dustydog View Post
    glue the thing on there and forget about it.
    Let the next generation worry about it, huh Gerry!

....Cotten
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 10-27-2017 at 05:12 PM.
    AMCA #776

This is my last comment on this topic, even though I love shooting the breeze. Who cares if it hurts the paint upon removal. The only reason to take the emblem off is because someone in the future may want to repaint the fender. If it an OP fender, on an OP motorcycle pay the dough for good, genuine emblems; or pay a jeweler to possibly screw up the one you have. If you glue it on, and need to take it off, you could probably use a heat gun to soften the glue enough to remove it. . . We have now reached the depth of my hypothetical B.S. on fender emblem fastening
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

This is my last comment on this topic, even though I love shooting the breeze. Who cares if it hurts the paint upon removal. The only reason to take the emblem off is because someone in the future may want to repaint the fender. If it an OP fender, on an OP motorcycle pay the dough for good, genuine emblems; or pay a jeweler to possibly screw up the one you have. If you glue it on, and need to take it off, you could probably use a heat gun to soften the glue enough to remove it. . . We have now reached the depth of my hypothetical B.S. on fender emblem fastening
    I guess they are all just piles o' molested junk anyway, right Eric?

....Cotten
    PS: And as long as it fools the judges, who cares?
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 10-27-2017 at 06:36 PM.
    AMCA #776

Quote Originally Posted by T. Cotten View Post
    I guess they are all just piles o' molested junk anyway, right Eric?

....Cotten
    PS: And as long as it fools the judges, who cares?
    We have now reached the depth of my hypothetical B.S. on fender emblem fastening
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Newer emblems are glued on now days and can be removed without much trouble without damaging the paint.

Quote Originally Posted by dustydog View Post
    Newer emblems are glued on now days and can be removed without much trouble without damaging the paint.
    Absolutely, Dustydog!

No point in doing it right if you don't have to...

....Cotten
    PS: Wasn't it Homer Simpson who said something like "Anything that hard to do ain't worth doing".
    AMCA #776

Quote Originally Posted by T. Cotten View Post
    Absolutely, Dustydog!

No point in doing it right if you don't have to...

....Cotten
    PS: Wasn't it Homer Simpson who said something like "Anything that hard to do ain't worth doing".
    But, Tom; aren't you the one who champions non-interference of originality, or the disturbance of history. If you fix that emblem, it will change the history of that part, and it will no longer be un-altered, and original. You can't have it both ways.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886