Thread: 1966 Fuel Tanks??

Default 1966 Fuel Tanks??

I just picked a nice set of ‘66 Shovel 3-1/2 gal.split tanks (repaints with L77-’78 emblems). I’m not sure if the left tank is a ’66. I understand the ‘66s are 1-year only with right-side petcock (both 3-1/2 & 5 gal. tanks?). My ’41-’84 parts manual does not list ’66 only tanks though I may not have the correct parts manual. Obviously, the left tank would have the vented cap and the right a non-vented cap for a right-side petcock setup. I am trying to get info and finding correct caps (I like the tall style Eaton caps!)

My Questions are.
    1) Were the fill bungs reversed for the ’66 only tanks or were they different bungs all together? As compared to the left-side petcock split tanks with right vented cap (61102-36) and left non-vented cap (61103-65)?
    2) If different; does anyone know the cap part numbers? Or do I just order the normal year caps and reverse for the ’66 setup…..

Thanks,
    William
    Attached Images Attached Images
    William Edwards, AMCA #10035

Since the left tank has no petcock, it would appear to be a 66 as well.
    Regardless of which side the petcock is on, the left cap should be non-vented. This way, when the tanks are full and the bike is on the side stand, the fuel doesn't transfer and run out on the ground from the resulting lower elevation of the left cap. An issue anyone with 64 and older tanks is far too familiar with as they use vented caps on both sides.
    In your pictures, the fillers and vent hose crossover connections, all seem correct for 66.
    Happy Motoring

Makes since Hercumile, thanks

You cannot reverse the caps, the neck depth and tangs on caps are specific to the side they fit.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Thanks Robbie, I understood the bung/cap fitment relationship. I just wondered if the MOCO switched bungs for the ’66 only tanks plus I got wrapped up in flow from left to right tank. After Hercumile’ response, it dawned on me (assumed) that the left tank (non-vented) will burp air through the cross-over from the right tank.