Thread: badge mount

Default badge mount

I need to remove badge mount on a 1952 tank to do body work then re attach, any tips on removing badge mount?

The mounts are spot welded to the tank, grind carefully on the spot welds to remove mounts in pieces.
    Many times dents can be removed with mounts in place.
    Post a photo.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay70 View Post
    I need to remove badge mount on a 1952 tank to do body work then re attach, any tips on removing badge mount?
    How serious are the dents in that area, Jay? My 1951-53 tanks had some dents in the area of the badge mount, but my painter was able to completely remove the dents without disturbing the mounts. If you're having a professional do this work, ask him if the mounts are a problem. I know most of us like to do as much work ourselves as we can, but there are times when it's best to turn it over to a professional.

Jay, If you do this yourself, please post photos of the process. I have 2 sets of 51-53 tanks I need to do.
    Thanks,
    Ralph
    Ralph

If you do remove the badge mounts, I would suggest making deep scribe lines in the tank so you can re-attach the mounts in the same place. I did that with a '48-'50 tank I had. However, I would avoid taking the mounts off, unless it's necessary. Many of these 'paintless' dent remover guys are very talented, and I would let them look at it first.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

I did remove and fix the tank it is done .But as the one gentleman said lightley drill spot welds.They are shallow and then I used a plastic scraper to remove them and brazed back in place once body work was done.