Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rocker Arm Cover Pad

Quote Originally Posted by Rubone View Post
    The only issue I can think of on the repop is the circular crimp would lend itself to the ball seating in it and not allowing the oil to pass. It seems the OEM type with the flat crimp would better prevent the ball from sticking and cutting off the flow.
    PA130002.jpg

PA130008.jpg

Merit in that thinking Robbie.
    I haven't seen the aftermarket unit, but a full round crimp would serve as a complete seat...which isn't the function needed.
    This original unit has 2 flat sides pressed into the end which stops the rattle passing through and allows oil to pass on the round portions.

I had a close look under magnification and took some pics for those of us with ADD.
    Harley have used 3/8 solid round bar and turned it down and drilled it to form a tube with a flanged end.
    It also has a rolled nose on the end of the tube that drips oil. The clean little press marks on the sides are a witness mark of the a pressing die. Perhaps a small mandrel has been placed inside the tube and the 2 flat sides have been pressed to keep the dowel in.
    I thought it was a ball bearing rattling up and down the tube but after a bit of probing with piano wire I think the rattle inside is a 1/2 long dowel with a round end.

Has anyone ever played Wheelin the wrecker with one of these?? I haven't got any to sacrifice.

Cant say I've ever looked this closely at them before. Just cleaned them and not looked at the method of construction.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Steve Little
    Upper Yarra Valley. Victoria.
    Australia.
    AMCA member 1950

Great thoughts there Robbie, makes sense what you say. Such a simple unit becomes not so simple, good discussion. Thanks Steve for your assessment.
    Bob Rice #6738
    He that conquereth his own soul is greater than he who taketh a city.

For the sake of further intellectual discussion you might adopt the following pose; eyebrows lowered, lips pursed, and rub thumb over chin stubble.
    If we go a little deeper into the design function of this little unassuming part, I have a couple of questions for your consideration.
    If the rattle inside this unit was simply an obstruction to regulate oil, would it need to move?
    The rattle has been designed with 1/8" to 3/16" movement....what is the function of the movement, or put another way, what was the designer looking for in this movement?
    A ball bearing would have been cheaper to use in production and effected the same coverage, so if the rattle turns out to be a 1/2" long dowel...was the intention to use something with a bit of weight?
    When we rattle these units back and forth to check them, is this an exaggerated motion of the intended use?...eg, using vibration of the engine as the energy to drive it.

Regards Steve
    Steve Little
    Australia.
    AMCA member 1950

Even though I am short of significant "stubble" since my last bath, Steve,..

Yes, I believe the ball was meant to 'rattle' as a 'controlled' leak, or perhaps a pump of oil reserved behind it.
    Certainly over-engineering,.. in complete contrast to the simple reservoir of oil stored for "dry" start-ups in the felts (used previously in Indian Fours, and probably others.)

Let's really complicate things with the '48-only copper seal washers under the oilers.
    Are they a clue?

Conjure on, Folks!

...Cotten
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 10-13-2017 at 05:01 PM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Hi Tom.
    Yep your right on the complication thing.
    I am not familiar with the 1948 washers you have posted.
    Perhaps you could un-complicate the post by elaborating on the function of them.

Quote Originally Posted by T. Cotten View Post

Let's really complicate things with the '48-only copper seal washers under the oilers.
    Are they a clue?

Conjure on, Folks!

...Cotten
    The english definition of Conjure:
    To call upon or command (a devil or spirit) by invocation or spell. 4. to call or bring into existence by or as if by magic

How is this tied in with the subject or discusion.

Regards Steve
    Steve Little
    Australia.
    AMCA member 1950

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Little View Post
    ...The english definition of Conjure:
    To call upon or command (a devil or spirit) by invocation or spell. 4. to call or bring into existence by or as if by magic

How is this tied in with the subject or discusion.

Regards Steve
    Its simple, Steve!

Panheads are diabolical.

....Cotten
    PS: If you don't think so, just consider the early hydraulic units.
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 10-14-2017 at 04:25 PM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!