Thread: is this really an original rear fender ?

Default is this really an original rear fender ?

for a couple reasons, does not look so to me....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/263228146582?ul_noapp=true
    Last edited by Steve Swan; 09-25-2017 at 11:58 AM.

Either a very nice original that maybe had some hand work on it, or a good repop that was antiqued guite well. Wouldn't be surprised to know somebody put the effort in it to antique it, I know someone who has done some of that on their stuff......

Steve, I'm not aware of anyone reproducing that fender. I do know that original fenders of that era have a slight flare on the edge. I learned that from a guy who hammered that flare out of his original fenders. Boy; did he hate himself
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

It does look similar to Tom Feeser's (Replicant Metals) '26-'29 JD rear fender. I do see some slight differences with holes in the center on the hinged tip and between braces at the axle plate mount. ????

http://www.replicantmetals.com/slide...-JD/index.html
    William Edwards, AMCA #10035

Looks pop to me but I can't see the flare on the edge that Eric is talking about. I do agree with Eric that the flare should be there on an OEM fender but I just don't see it in the pics.
    Mark

here's my observations....... i could be completely wrong. The press marks don't look factory in the area of chain guard and the edges of on each side of the raised area going down the middle appear formed, the ridge edges on an original fender look stamped; sharper definition. what appears grey primer looks like primer that comes on Replicant Metals fenders. the holes for the rear stand spring clip have either never been drilled or else were filled. i don't see any trace of the factory flare that's on both sides of outer edges of the fender. the underside of the fender appears to not ever seen any elements and i see no trace of any defects that could have occurred in the 90 years of its existence. the drilled holes, the back and front sides of rivets and where the copper tail light wire tube enters and exits all look too fresh to be 90 years old. it's been about a year since i sold the Replicant rear fender i had on ebay; it came with 3 holes for the rear stand spring clip. mea culpa if i'm wrong.