Thread: 1940's INDIAN Sidecar Gearing Info Needed

Default 1940's INDIAN Sidecar Gearing Info Needed

I am in the process of installing an original Indian sidecar on a 1947 Chief. The Chief has a stock 74 cubic inch motor with a 25 tooth front sprocket. I am hoping to hear from some current Indian sidecar owner/operators as to what type of gearing you run. Thanks for any help.

G,day motor-officer i have had a 23 and 24 on my outfit for years running Bonnie cams ,i feel 25 is to tall,Hob

When I pulled mine with my '48 stock 74 c.i. motor I used a 23 drive sprocket with and without a 150 lb.+/- passenger.

Quote Originally Posted by jcrawford View Post
    When I pulled mine with my '48 stock 74 c.i. motor I used a 23 drive sprocket with and without a 150 lb.+/- passenger.
    (haven't been here for a bit), .. The year I got my sidecar I was fortunate enough to acquire a handful of sprockets: 28-tooth, 27-t, 23-t, 22-t, and a 19-t, all good shape. The 19 was meant for the Rocky Mountain Road run of 1993 (?), and with my stock 47
    -74 inch I needed it. ... funny, when I tour the Black Hills I get around on a 23 just fine, but I always worked the heck out of the engine. Flat lands the 23 is okay, unless you get a head wind. ..... not sure whether you can still get the 22's and less, ... scout parts?
    happy motoring!