Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: H-D Production IoE V-twins 1909-1929

Thanks John and Mark. Hopefully we'll have a few more replies and perhaps some pictures before this thread goes to sleep.

my earlier question went unanswered. was the vin boss on LH crankcase painted or left raw from the factory?

i seem to recall that cutaway sold for around $10k. i wonder if it was factory? as i recall it was at some technical training school in south america before going on ebay.
    Last edited by Steve Swan; 12-16-2017 at 08:34 AM.

The vin pad was left raw. I got to have a couple hundred factory pictures the clearly show it.

Steve, I really enjoyed this thread, Great reference material also. Thank you! I would like to encourage everyone with pictures of unmolested bikes to post them also. Sure would like to see some pics of unmolested 25s or factory close ups. I hope this thread doesn't die and think it could be added as a "sticky" so it is easy for everyone to find in the future. With the absence of a good technical book this is quite useful, (at least until Mark Massa publishes a book I also would like to see the club magazine every month seek out some of these unmolested time capsules and do a good spread on them with plenty of color close ups. I certainly regret not taking detailed pictures of all the original condition bikes that I have seen over the last 50 years. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by camsaure View Post
    Steve, I really enjoyed this thread, Great reference material also. Thank you! I would like to encourage everyone with pictures of unmolested bikes to post them also. Sure would like to see some pics of unmolested 25s or factory close ups. I hope this thread doesn't die and think it could be added as a "sticky" so it is easy for everyone to find in the future. With the absence of a good technical book this is quite useful, (at least until Mark Massa publishes a book I also would like to see the club magazine every month seek out some of these unmolested time capsules and do a good spread on them with plenty of color close ups. I certainly regret not taking detailed pictures of all the original condition bikes that I have seen over the last 50 years. Thanks again.
    Cam, looking at the battery box on this bike, the reinforcing strap goes around the upper 1/4th of the box, and the hinged lid latches, it's a 1925 model. it also appears to have the narrow fenders.

yeah..... hopefully this thread won't go into permanent hibernation. there's gotta be alot of great pics, private and factory out there. Other than the Rider's Handbook, a few brochures and ads, all related to the 27, i've posted everything i have.

if you click 3 times on the picture, it gets delightfully large. i can email it to you, if you'd like.

1925 1.jpg
    Last edited by Steve Swan; 12-16-2017 at 07:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Luland View Post
    The vin pad was left raw. I got to have a couple hundred factory pictures the clearly show it.
    Thanks for confirming, Bob. i only have a couple pics, including one of my Dad with his 27, where the vin pad pad appears unpainted. I'll need to remove the paint on mine..

An old Newspaper advertisement a friend who was living in OZ found under some old linoleum during a kitchen remodel in the late '80s. She mailed it to me back then.

Robbie Knight Amca #2736

That gives me another chance to ask Mark Masa where his JD book is today? My VL book is now in its sixth edition and 26th year continuously in print, and there were probably five or six times more Harley pocket valve bikes built than VLs. I've previously said that AMCA members should get together and knock out a chapter each of this much needed reference work, and been rebuffed. But none of us are getting younger and a somewhat rough first edition would be preferable to a polished edition in the indefinite future...

Quote Originally Posted by Rubone View Post
    An old Newspaper advertisement a friend who was living in OZ found under some old linoleum during a kitchen remodel in the late '80s. She mailed it to me back then.

thanks Robbie, for that great ad. i love how the additional brake is called a fore wheel brake.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Slocombe View Post
    That gives me another chance to ask Mark Masa where his JD book is today? My VL book is now in its sixth edition and 26th year continuously in print, and there were probably five or six times more Harley pocket valve bikes built than VLs. I've previously said that AMCA members should get together and knock out a chapter each of this much needed reference work, and been rebuffed. But none of us are getting younger and a somewhat rough first edition would be preferable to a polished edition in the indefinite future...
    Ditto what Steve says !

I would be happy to contribute what little I know.

John