Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: H-D Production IoE V-twins 1909-1929

Default H-D Production IoE V-twins 1909-1929

After completing my 27JD, i began wondering what each H-D Factory Production V-twin model from the beginning 1909 til 1929 looked like in contrast to my '27 as well as to see these changes year by year.

During the time of the "Japanese Invasion," when i was in my teens and 20's, beginning prior to the tumultuous AMC era and through the AMC era, i heard comments made about H-D such as, "They deserve to go out of business, they've never change anything." Of course, we know that's not true; The Factory made changes every year and within years.

Over the past couple months, i've been surfing the 'net looking at pictures of H-D Factory Production V-twins from 1909-1929 to see the changes between each year.

I thought maybe it might be fun to start a thread on these IoE Factory Production models. What i thought i'd do is post a picture, beginning with the first Production V-twin The Factory produced in 1909 through each model year to 1929, so we could write any comments about that specific model year, stuff like the factory model designation, attach pictures of that model year and any other information about these machines.

So, attached are 3 pictures i found on the internet of what are stated as the 1909 model. What was the Factory's model designation for their first year Production twin ? What i mean by "Factory Production Model" is the model The Factory produced intended to go to the dealer to be sold to the customer.

1909 HD.jpg1909 H-D.jpg1909.jpg
    Last edited by Steve Swan; 09-15-2017 at 01:17 PM. Reason: puntuation

Great idea, Steve. My very favorite Harley-Davidsons are the pre 1930 twins, and the earliest, and skinniest being at the top. We just got our power, and internet access back after the hurricane so I'll have to do some digging, and contribute to your idea. I have some copies of early trade magazines that list pre-1909 H-D twins as catalog items. Whether that was sales baloney, or reality is something I would leave to the real historians.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Hi Eric ! I was so glad to hear in the "Irma Thread" that you largely missed the wrath of Hurricane Irma.

Really looking forward to what you can share on the IoE twins. I thought it would be fun to go through each model year; present one model year at a time over a month or two period, see how much information gets shared, then move on to next model year.

Good idea Steve.
    Vtwin production start in 1907 not in 1909...

This is a picture of a 1908 twin, or double.

Sorry for the poor quality of this scan. As you can see, the date is January of '08 so it was made in '07 as Eric stated. Also in the text it mentions the '07 double.

Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Good idea Steve.
    Vtwin production start in 1907 not in 1909...
    Well.... There we go ! I learned something already ! 1907 was first year of twin production !

Eric, thanks for the info from "the Motorcycle Illustrated." Amazing, the bike only weighed 275 pounds !

Was this new model simply known as "the double" ? What feature(s) made the carburetor "automatic" ? Battery is "three cells;" was the battery a dry cell type ? Are any 1907 twins known to exist ? I really can't imagine the excitement riders must have felt, leaving the horse behind for a motorcycle. Really must have been an age of awe and wonderment.

Just an observation; note the '08 double has a belt tensioner, but H-D's museum '09 does not. In it's defense, the '09 has probably been monkeyed with by many hands, over many years.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

The '07 double used atmospheric intake valves and was neither a mechanical or sales success. Very few were actually built. The mechanical intake and IOE design changed things dramatically for H-D.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Quote Originally Posted by Rubone View Post
    The '07 double used atmospheric intake valves and was neither a mechanical or sales success. Very few were actually built. The mechanical intake and IOE design changed things dramatically for H-D.
    Do we have any RH views of the engine and the machine. Specifically, do we have any pictures of the atmospheric intake setup ?

Also, what made an "automatic" carb different from a "non-automatic" carb ?