Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Member from Germany - interested in Emblem, Schebler "H", and other.

Eric,

It is loose, but sunken into the roof of the bore.

Do you really think that Schebler would have devised and produced the washer if there wasn't a purpose?

The early models didn't have one, but the 'tower' supporting the shaft had a bezel that was crimped over into a groove in the shaft to retain it. They obviously needed an improvement.
    (I would post more pics, but the international meet looms over me like a storm, and I am packing up. And answering off-the-wall posts can be irritating, although I want those with an open mind and appreciation for History to have access when I can.)

....Cotten
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 08-29-2017 at 04:53 PM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

I would never second guess the engineering at Schebler; particularly something as odd as that radiused washer. You've seen a lot more of these than most anyone here, Tom, so your observations are valuable. I can only go by the 20 or so I've messed with, and that is an invalid sampling to draw even a heuristic opinion about. I do recall something a metallurgist told me years ago about one of the principals of early watch making. He said that there is an interesting phenomenon about the jewel bearings in high end watches. He said the jewel bearing will wear out before the metal shaft that turns in it. The reason is; microscopic shards of the jewel will break off and imbed themselves in the soft metal of the shaft, thus turning the metal shaft into a jewel encrusted grinder. . .Who knows, but I do know coffee is the key to long B.S. encrusted stories
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Similarly, Eric,..

Soft aluminum tappet blocks will wear out their harder tappets, with little more than carbon embedded.
    PEEK is even softer. I use it for many applications, but rarely for a moving part.

I do use it for the airvalve, as many folks use teflon, which is a great deal softer. Leather would be great if the machines were in constant service, and constantly moistened with fuel.

The reason I obsess about the radiused washer is because there needs to be minimal air leakage past the disc assembly when closed, or the idle screw will need to be turned in to where it nearly hits the disc, or bottoms out at its head. For the same reason, I obsess with the precise fit of the disc notch to the idle screw barrel.

I need to raise my rates.

....Cotten
    PS: At Davenport tomorrow, Folks,
    I shall have a case of PEEK scraps to pick through at $.25 a gram.
    (Compare to MSC Industrial's price of $.61 a gram, four foot at time for the 2" I must start with: https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn/...EK&hdrsrh=true)
    And compare to ebay!
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 08-30-2017 at 12:49 PM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!