Thread: newbie question, what year ?

Default newbie question, what year ?

i've been reading some history from different sources what year the factory produced a motorcycle intended for retail sale to the public. depending on where i read, it seems anywhere from 1903 to 1905.

what was the 1st year the factory sold production motorcycles intended for retail sale to the public ?

The recent articles about C.H. Lang, by Herbert Wagner in the Antique Motorcycle (July/Aug. 2016) would come closest to answering your question. Herb is one of the best motorcycle historians we have. Now you have me interested in reading that series again
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Quote Originally Posted by exeric View Post
    The recent articles about C.H. Lang, by Herbert Wagner in the Antique Motorcycle (July/Aug. 2016) would come closest to answering your question. Herb is one of the best motorcycle historians we have. Now you have me interested in reading that series again
    Thanks Eric, i need to find that mag, wherever i put it.

There was no motorcycle built in 1903. In '03 they prototyped an engine they mounted to a bicycle. It was too small. In 1904 they designed their first motorcycle. As far as I know only one was built. Several machines were built in 1905 that wound up in the public's hands.
    Note that none of the early machines were built in the backyard shed. It hadn't been built yet.
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Haynes View Post
    There was no motorcycle built in 1903. In '03 they prototyped an engine they mounted to a bicycle. It was too small. In 1904 they designed their first motorcycle. As far as I know only one was built. Several machines were built in 1905 that wound up in the public's hands.
    Note that none of the early machines were built in the backyard shed. It hadn't been built yet.
    Thanks Chris ! 1905 is what i seemed to recall, i haven't been able to find my July/August 2016 issue with the article by Herb Wagner, but i seem to remember 1905 was the 1st true production year which was also the year C.H. Lang bought some of their machines and sold them to the public..