Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1941cruiser green

Peter, I have never applied Glasurit, but have been very interested in trying it. It is my understanding (as you stated) that Glasurit is a high pigment paint, hence I would assume that it would take less paint to cover, and deliver that super thin covering that Harley-Davidson is well known for. My other assumption is; it's probably very expensive
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Quote Originally Posted by PRG View Post
    a far more authentic appearance can be achieved with single stage "high solids" finish as provided by Glasurit.
    Peter,
    I just went to the paintstore with the sprayout and with their spectrofotometer they found a 96% match for that paint.
    Bought half a liter single stage paint with hardener,thinner and sandpaper 1000. 106
    Right now I have Egyptian Ivory on it and since that paint was put on very well, and still is, I plan on just sanding it with 1000 ,repair tiny spots and then spray.
    So no clearcoat!

Get real Folks.

No modern paint can perfectly match original paints, as they are completely different chemically, and thus reflect a different spectrum of light.
    That's what the whole science of spectroscopy is based upon.

We know the original formulae are virtually extinct, or illegal.

4% difference is certainly significant to the human eye.
    Unless you fail the test.

....Cotten
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 07-21-2017 at 01:41 PM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Tom,
    I was talking with John Pierce 6 years ago and he said he was producing paint with the exact chemicals that they used back then. But he mentioned that it would end soon as epa was banning some of them. Don't know about whats going on right now.
    AMCA #765

Quote Originally Posted by T. Cotten View Post
    Get real Folks.

No modern paint can perfectly match original paints, as they are completely different chemically, and thus reflect a different spectrum of light.
    That's what the whole science of spectroscopy is based upon.

We know the original formulae are virtually extinct, or illegal.

4% difference is certainly significant to the human eye.
    Unless you fail the test.

....Cotten

Cotton 74 is that right?
    Kevin Valentine 13
    EX-Chief Judge

Quote Originally Posted by nukkel View Post
    Peter,
    I just went to the paintstore with the sprayout and with their spectrofotometer they found a 96% match for that paint.
    Bought half a liter single stage paint with hardener,thinner and sandpaper 1000. €106
    Right now I have Egyptian Ivory on it and since that paint was put on very well, and still is, I plan on just sanding it with 1000 ,repair tiny spots and then spray.
    So no clearcoat!
    I am not sure if 1000 grit paper is enough for paint to adhere, here in the states. I do not even go that high to blend paint, we can buff out 1500 grit, but usually go between 2000-2500 to buff. We typically use 400-500 for single stage and at the very highest 600 with 2 and 3 stage systems.

Now this is just one opinion of many as I am sure there will be different opinions. I am not trying to be a know it all, just want to bring up some issues to save you time and money. That's all.
    Last edited by ryan; 07-22-2017 at 08:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post

You also mentioned paint and thinner which normally goes with a hardener. Are you sure you did not mean paint and catalyst?
    Hi Ryan,
    In the shop they called it hardener ..you have to mix it with the paint 2:1 ( paint 2 parts ,hardener 1) to harden the paint in a chemical way.I have used it before ,went smooth.. one of the mistakes I made before is to have it all done at the same time though.. ( inside,outside fenders,tanks ) Will do them on seperate occassions now.

To your opinion the 1000 grit preparation could give a problem for the new paint to adhere to the existing layer.,as I understand it...that would really be a bummer.. so 600 would be a better choice.
    Thanks for your advice!
    Rein
    Last edited by nukkel; 07-22-2017 at 08:45 AM.

One of the problems I have with the new paints are that they seem to all be high build which is a huge problem with hinged fenders.

Quote Originally Posted by kval View Post
    Cotton 74 is that right?
    Not if you are colorblind, Kevin!

Viewers with dichromacy or anomalous trichromacy may read it as "21", and viewers with monochromacy may see nothing.
    In other words, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

....Cotten
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    high build which is a huge problem with hinged fenders.
    In some way that was also a problem in the old days already with brand new bikes " it was left over to the owners to chip the paint when the fender was opened" -