Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1950 Panhead

I have to agree with Bob; that looks like a tough repair. However, the intake nipple seals where the nipple, and head meet. Those surfaces have to be dead on, and that is the challenge. When H-D machined their heads, they made the threading, and facing operation perfect, so when a properly machined nipple was threaded in, it was sure to seat flush to the head. Unfortunately, chopper guys thought rubber band manifolds would cure all their leaking problems so when they removed the plumber style nipple, they only made things worse. Getting back to the what H-D did when they first machined that head is tough, but it can be done.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Bob and Eric; Yes he used his Bridgeport after welding and I lent him my Harley Davidson Factory intake tap. It came out beautifully. Here are shots of the Carl's intake nipples installed.100_1072.jpg100_1071.jpg100_1073.jpg100_1074.jpg

All looks good and glad you progressed. Was the fixture capturing the fins in your last picture used to hold the head while finishing the threads? Thanks.
    Bob Rice #6738
    He that conquereth his own soul is greater than he who taketh a city.

Was the fixture capturing the fins in your last picture used to hold the head while finishing the threads?
    Looks like a homemade head holder screwed into the plug hole for the pics.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Bob; No. Robbie; Yes it's an old spark plug that I broke the top off of and welded a piece of square tubing to. I did the same with the 18 mm plug. This is the way that I have done valve jobs for over 35 years.

Looks like a great repair, Craig. I guess it really helps to have a genuine H-D intake tap
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Quote Originally Posted by Rubone View Post
    Looks like a homemade head holder screwed into the plug hole for the pics.
    Looks like I need my eyes checked!
    Bob Rice #6738
    He that conquereth his own soul is greater than he who taketh a city.

I have to admit. I've never seen a home made tail light lens like the one that came on this bike. (See pics) I think that it started out as a '60's Chevy truck tail light lens. I thought that I might replace it.
    Craig CIMG0636.jpgCIMG0635.JPGCIMG0633.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by 41craig View Post
    I have to admit. I've never seen a home made tail light lens like the one that came on this bike. (See pics) I think that it started out as a '60's Chevy truck tail light lens. I thought that I might replace it.
    Craig CIMG0636.jpgCIMG0635.JPGCIMG0633.JPG
    Very crafty! I like it