Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1928 JD Motor

Quote Originally Posted by MSkeene View Post
    Steve, I will start searching for a 28 only parts book. Thank you for the clarification with the pictures! I never noticed the pyramid shape before! From looking at your pictures and other pictures now I can clearly see the difference. Thank you
    I don't know if there's a 28 only parts book. Those with more experience than I will know. My JD knowledge base is for the most part limited to my experience with my 27.

fwiw, the mechanical oil pump on a 28 is different than shown in 27 pics i posted. The 27-31 parts book will show differences such as these. There are some very helpful factory "Shop Dope" service bulletins and mechanics bulletins available. if you go to JD Yahoo Groups, go to "Files," you will see a link to the 1917 U.S. Army Motorcycle Repairer's Manual. There is also a 1923 factory book titled something like for the "Motorcycle Repair Man," i can't seem to get my hands on my copy, must be at my shop.....

also, this is an informative link i found useful - http://webspace.webring.com/people/qp/pravg/engine.htm

A 1928 Rider's Handbook is also a very good thing to have. When you are ready, i would be happy to copy what i have that may be helpful to you. The AMCA library may have some info you can download. Various JD guys who sell parts also have copies of literature available, Replicant Metals sells the 27-31 parts book. And ebay.
    Last edited by Steve Swan; 06-17-2017 at 12:24 AM.

Looking at Tom Feeser's Replicant Metals, i see he has copies available of the 22-28 Parts Book and the 28-32 Parts Book. http://www.replicantmetals.com/library.html

early on, when i was doing my research, i looked for every picture i could find of 26-29 models. fwiw, attached are a couple pics of an unmolested o.p. 28 with a few parts that are not period correct (namely rims and saddle) that sold on ebay or after the auction ended, can't remember which, something like the low or mid $30k range i 'think'. at the time, i contacted the seller and asked him if he would be so kind as to send me pics, he sent me 26 pics.

$T2eC16NHJFoFH4t-WyTCBSZsb+6SDg~~60_57.JPG$(KGrHqYOKnMFJjsGctvWBSZsespDBQ~~60_57.JPG

here's another nice pic of what appears to be a fairly accurately restored 28.

1928 restored.jpg
    Last edited by Steve Swan; 06-17-2017 at 12:24 AM. Reason: add pics

one of our members with more comprehensive knowledge on things JD would need to say if this pump is correct for 28, i believe there may be differences between the 28 and 29 pumps as well as early and later improved designs in one or both of those years.... but this is the throttle controlled type pump that was first seen on 28 models.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-David...FZO37U&vxp=mtr
    Last edited by Steve Swan; 06-17-2017 at 12:22 AM.

Steve, I did look up the Replicant Metals and I plan on ordering the 22-28 and 28-32 parts book. I was looking at that oil pump on eBay! I have also been bidding on some cam covers on eBay but haven't had any luck yet. Thank you for the pictures an all of the help you're giving me! And Happy Fathers Day!

Steve, I have been watching this cam cover on eBay. Does it seem to be in good shape? And do you feel that the price is fair?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/261742189578

MSkeene
    That one on eBay is a 1925-29 style. It is also damaged and overpriced.
    I'll take a look and see if I have a spare with gears etc.
    Are you looking for a cover and correct oil pump too? Be aware that there are at least 4 variants of the stamped steel gearcase cover that the oil pump mounts to.
    That I'm almost 100% sure I have extra cover and oil pump.
    Mark Masa

Mark, thank you for the feedback! I am looking for the cover and correct oil pump as well. Thank you for the help!

Hi all, I have a quick update on my project. I had been talking to Mark Masa (MMasa) and he had an oil pump that would fit my motor and I was able purchased it from him, thank you Mark. I have attached some pictures of the pump. Also I had a few questions regarding some small cracks that my motor has in it. I need some advice on how to repair these cracks. They are mainly small hairline cracks and I would like to repair them all now so they do not turn into bigger problems later. I have attached some pictures of the cracks as well. Any advice would be appreciated, thank you!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mitchell, glad to see your posts and experience thus far !

When you look at the inside of the cases, do you see any cracks coming through from where the cracks are on the outside ?

As i understand it, the cracks around the rotary breather are not uncommon. Those with greater experience will know about the cracks around the pinion shaft area. The aluminum of the time these cases were cast from was of the highest quality possible, but not as impurity free as contemporary aluminum. Casting processes of 1928 compared to today also influence the ability of the casting to withstand factors exerted on the castings.

My LH case had a pair of V cracks beginning from the inside and outside diameters of the rear mount holes, extending in to the belly of the case. I was able to find an excellent welder of aluminum in our area and a local machine shop to machine the repaired surfaces. My RH case had no cracks

As to the location and nature of the cracks (appears 4 in total?) in your RH case, those with more experience can share their knowledge for the best approach for the best repair of your cases. And how to best ascertain what cracks may exist, not visible to the naked eye. Our group has some or know of very talented, highly skilled people that can fix almost anything that looks beyond repair.

Know that anything 99 years old, restoring, repairing or fitting back together will much of the time be a one piece at at time process. In my case, these challenges were not to be discouraged by, but as an opportunity to learn. i will say at times i was dismayed by the next "surprise" i discovered or encountered, but each issues resolved was one step in the progress toward firing an engine that would move the project down the road.

Builds such as yours are always a great learning process of all of us, so i will be following your thread with anticipation. You are off to a great start !

Steve, I don't believe that the cracks go all the way through. I think my next step is to take the cases apart and see if the cracks go all the way through. I also need to get, or make, a tool that can take the engine case nuts off. What type of tool did you use for this? Also how do I take off the one gear that I have in the bottom end of the motor? Does it unscrew or do I need to pull it off? I need to take that off to split the case I believe. Thanks again Steve for all of your help and suggestions, I appreciate it!