Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What type tubing for oil lines?

Have used dAir-Con copper pipe when creating custom oil and fuel lines they generally come in a good selection of sizes.

Go talk to a refrigerator or air-conditioning repair workshop.

Dear Eric, Harley did use copper oil lines up until around 1940. They were flat nickel plated with no steps on the nuts. The modern repros are cadmium plated steel with stepped nuts, thus giving our judges plenty of scope for deductions.

Well, the oil lines are fabricated and installed. (photo coming soon) I'm ready to put in some oil and kick it over to see if I have oil flow. Any suggestions and should I still use SAE 50W non-detergent or are modern oils a better idea?
    Thanks.
    Larry Gibson

Many I know including me run straight 50wt in their Indians when riding in temp range of say 50-85 deg F. Some like to run a 20-50 multi-viscosity. Do not seek out non-detergent.
    If routinely riding in hot climate above 85deg I'd go to a 60wt.
    Try to find an oil specially formulated for old engines such as http://www.ebay.com/itm/PennGrade-1-...IAAOSwjvJZOZzN
    There are many other suitable brands.

For the primary and trans (assuming they are still common to each other on your bike) many like the HD Sportser Primary/Trans oil which is designed for the transmission and wet clutches. Some just run a straight 30wt.
    Jason Z
    AMCA #21594
    Near Pittsburgh PA
    Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Rubone View Post
    Rigid tubing is much easier to avoid obstacles with then rubber or stainless which do not hold a shape. 3/8" automotive brake line works well for fabrication and comes in assorted lengths, and is also available in different diameters. Small commercial tubing benders work quit well with patience and pre-planning.
    Robbie, That's what I used on my 741 Indian Bobber
    Chuck
    AMCA Member#1848

i have been using cunifer brake lines for many years, a nickle copper alloy tubing, easily bendable and used on many high end autos. i would think larger diameters would be available.

I finally got my Indian running. I looked in the tank with a borescope and confirmed the oil was being returned. Here is a photo of the copper lines. It seems to miss everything and flows oil.IMG_4210.jpg

An intermediate support should be added if you haven't already done so.

Larry,
    I've never seen a Chief oil tank and line run in that manner, was the bike always like that? Are there issues with the oil tank/gas tank leaking that required the re-routing of the tank and lines?