Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What type tubing for oil lines?

I agree with RichO. I only use copper lines if I make the ferrule that is soldered to the copper line, and match the angle of the fitting. That is the way all manufacturers who used copper lines did it, and they knew what they were doing.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

The re-routing was to increase the fuel capacity. My dad and I rode a couple of trips from Indiana to Colorado and beyond. He eventually put over 100,000 miles on this Indian. In 1955-1960, fuel stations were few and far between in the mountains. He was a light aircraft mechanic and liked to make things better. The idea came from Harleys which have similar oil tank locations. This added almost another gallon of fuel capacity. He also fabricated a tank which fit between the two tanks. He used it on several trips out west. I just decided to retain the modifications that were made by my dad.
    Last edited by larrymgibson; 12-29-2018 at 10:55 AM.

Instead of replying to the thread, I replied to the last comment. Not sure how the notification works. I'll copy here.
    The re-routing was to increase the fuel capacity. My dad and I rode a couple of trips from Indiana to Colorado and beyond. He eventually put over 100,000 miles on this Indian. In 1955-1960, fuel stations were few and far between in the mountains. He was a light aircraft mechanic and liked to make things better. The idea came from Harleys which have similar oil tank locations. This added almost another gallon of fuel capacity. He also fabricated a tank which fit between the two tanks. He used it on several trips out west. I just decided to retain the modifications that were made by my dad.

Do you mean a support in the middle of the run to lessen the vibration on the fittings?

Quote Originally Posted by larrymgibson View Post
    Thanks for that explanation, great history on that Chief too, your Dad must have been a great guys to wrench with and learn from. You are very lucky to have had a Dad like that.

Quote Originally Posted by exeric View Post
    I agree with RichO. I only use copper lines if I make the ferrule that is soldered to the copper line, and match the angle of the fitting. That is the way all manufacturers who used copper lines did it, and they knew what they were doing.
    There is patented system Swagelok which uses an extra ferrule and eliminates need for solder.

thumbnail_merkfitt%20001.jpg

I made 9 of these Merkel furrules, and nuts just today. I always make my own, and copy original dimensions. I match the angle of the ferrule to the angle of the mating fitting and have never had a leak. There are many modern devices, and materials that are superior to those from 100 years ago, but the challenge, and fun of old bikes is to explore the world of yesterday. I think using modern technology on old bikes can be appropriate inside the motor, trans, and other places that don't show; but you have to be careful that you don't loose the whole point of messing around with ancient motorcycles.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Yes I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Indian View Post
    Thanks for that explanation, great history on that Chief too, your Dad must have been a great guys to wrench with and learn from. You are very lucky to have had a Dad like that.
    Yes I was.