Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: clutch slip

Default clutch slip

help , rebuilt my 67 flh with 84 inch s&s flywheels , the increase in hoarse power at higher rpms causes clutch to slip , still have the mouse trap and don't want to add heavy springs , have heard of adding extra plate , any one with some input on this matter . ?????

Golliy Electricnblue,

Wouldn't an extra plate be like heavy springs, at the same adjustment spec?

(My stroked Pan ate clutches as well, but that was my fault.)

....Cotten
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

yep not too happy with end results , live and learn ! still not that fast and vibrates like a stroker. but anyway if I adjust pressure plate to spec spring pressure shouldn't increase , yes/no?

The stock clutch should handle the 84" motor without a problem. Take it apart to see what you have...
    VPH-D

Quote Originally Posted by electricinblue View Post
    yep not too happy with end results , live and learn ! still not that fast and vibrates like a stroker. but anyway if I adjust pressure plate to spec spring pressure shouldn't increase , yes/no?
    Electricinblue!

As VPH-D posted, stock clutches were phenomenally good, when everything is in order.
    And my Pan stroker was not only fast, it didn't "vibrate".

So beware, yours may have other issues,

....Cotten
    AMCA #776

Quote Originally Posted by T. Cotten View Post
    Electricinblue!

As VPH-D posted, stock clutches were phenomenally good, when everything is in order.
    And my Pan stroker was not only fast, it didn't "vibrate".

So beware, yours may have other issues,

....Cotten
    I agree with the "So beware, yours may have other issues," Something may be off with the rebuild, that is.
    Last edited by ryan; 06-08-2017 at 06:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by electricinblue View Post
    help , rebuilt my 67 flh with 84 inch s&s flywheels , the increase in hoarse power at higher rpms causes clutch to slip , still have the mouse trap and don't want to add heavy springs , have heard of adding extra plate , any one with some input on this matter . ?????
    I have a '77 FLH, the motor has been built with the S&S "hot setup" 84-inch kit (along with other performance enhancing improvements). Sounds like you have the same.
    I have no issues with the clutch, although I reassembled it with new Barnett 'wet-or-dry' friction discs and NOS steel plates.
    Have you replaced the discs, or are they the same as before the motor build? Perhaps new friction discs are in order.....

I have taken the clutch out three times , cleaned the friction plates and clutch holds together for a few rides and then starts to slip again at higher rpms. parts are all original , I did remove the compensator and put solid sprocket in its place . was wondering if this is causing any issues ??? and I also am concerned about the rebuild the shop that did the rebuild screwed up a lot of things , like forgetting to tighten the head bolts and I blew head gaskets in the first 50 mi...unreal ... the shop has since closed

I would try these...most non mousetrap shovels have more problems with release.If you are having oil on plates that is a problem for most friction material.These have groove like wet clutches
    http://www.vtwinmfg.com/webapp/wcs/s..._143105_143107

Electricnblue!

Before I threw money at it, I would be certain of a few things;
    Not only should the friction discs be 'clean', but removing any glazing with coarse steel wool is prudent.

Please make certain that the steel plates are still flat. Irregular wear patterns, or discoloration are clues to warpage.

Since the clutch pack becomes shorter with wear, the service manual releasing disc measurement becomes arbitrary, even though there is lining left.
    It is more critical that the releasing disc travels in and out squarely to the rest of the plates. It is perfectly fine to adjust the nuts un-evenly to accomplish this, although the culprit is more often an aftermarket releasing disc or faulty center adjustor bolt.

There is nothing wrong with tightening the adjustor nuts to where the releasing disc is more compressed than the manual, as long as your hand control still manages it comfortably.
    I put a 9/16" wrench upon the tightened center adjustor bolt lock nut, and then check to see that I can easily turn the whole pack freely when the hand control has it dis-engaged.

And also, please make certain that excessive grease from the hub rollers is not compromising the clutch hub's lining.
    Inspect all rivets to be certain that wear does not expose any to where it hits the steel plates or clutch basket.

Let us know if you find anything,

....Cotten
    AMCA #776