Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Synthetic oil

I run Castrol racing 20w50 oil, because it already has the zinc added to the oil, in my flat tappet engines, and racing 30w in my old tractors.

Speaking of model ts, I picked up a tiger timer for a model t at a thrift shop the other day.
    Last edited by ryan; 06-03-2017 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Grammer

Agree no synthetic. These are simple machines so no need to complicate oil decision. Local Indian guys I know run straight 50wt. Most riding is done in temps above 60. I run Brad Penn Penngrade1 50wt which is engineered for air cooled engines according to an engineering rep I personally spoke with at length.
    This is from the Indian Riders Instruction Book.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Skirted; 06-04-2017 at 07:20 AM.
    Jason Z
    AMCA #21594
    Near Pittsburgh PA
    Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Swan View Post
    so, i've been saying i'm using Aeroshell. not. i'm using Phillips 66 Aviation 50W oil, ashless dispersant.

Attachment 19899Attachment 19900

form what little i know, it sounds like the essential additive for flat tappet on cam engines is ZDDP, the zinc provides a cushion. is zinc necessary in an engine that has lifter arms with a roller running against the cam, considering the other end of the lifter arm strikes against the ex/in lifter pins ?

information i am reading states zinc is not an additive in Aeroshell or Phillips 66 Aviation; J/JD guys recommend either of these oils. what do guys use that are putting alot of miles on these old engines? sorry if i am hijacking this thread.
    Good oil Steve!

(And nice can! Save me one...)

If you want some zinc, just mix some in.
    One of the endless oil threads mentioned that you can have too much zinc. Maybe that's why Wolf's Head only had one "D"!

.....Cotten
    PS: Both cans are full, and the Wolf's Head came out of the dumpster across the street, maybe both.
    PPS: By definition, any oil thread is a hijack in itself...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 06-04-2017 at 10:33 AM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

if it's in good shape it's a nice find

Quote Originally Posted by T. Cotten View Post
    Good oil Steve!

(And nice can! Save me one...)

If you want some zinc, just mix some in.
    One of the endless oil threads mentioned that you can have too much zinc. Maybe that's why Wolf's Head only had one "D"!

.....Cotten
    PS: Both cans are full, and the Wolf's Head came out of the dumpster across the street, maybe both.
    PPS: By definition, any oil thread is a hijack in itself...
    5-2-A1045527_z_yz7n-5u.jpg Is this the oil?

Quote Originally Posted by RonH View Post
    yup, that's the stuff.

20170604_144409.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Swan View Post
    yup, that's the stuff.

20170604_144409.jpg
    How do you like it?

Quote Originally Posted by RonH View Post
    How do you like it?
    Ron, i've only ran my 27JD about 50 miles using the Phillips Aviation oil. really don't think that's enough miles to give a substantive report. on the other hand, before i ran my JD, i asked the "oil question" on JD Yahoo Groups and our board here. Aviation oil seemed to get the most recommendations. And, if Tom Cotten recommends it, that's as good a recommendation as i feel i could have.

Steve!

Its expensive, but you might consider an additive such as http://www.eastwood.com/ew-zddp-oil-additive-4-oz.html.
    (There seems to be several on the market..)

Hopefully you would still have the benefits of a basically ash-less oil, with the extra cushion of zinc.

When a few drops of an ashless oil (such as Aeroshell, the only one I tested) is gently cooked on a Pyrex plate with a propane torch, it bubbles, lets off some white fumes, and volatilizes to leave next to no residue.
    An ordinary oil, however, produces noxious black smoke, and leaves significant tarry residue. With extended heat, it becomes quite hard, and will not wash off with spirits.

The advantage of an ashless oil for a total-loss machine, particularly when much of it is past the rings, is obvious.
    So it would be interesting to know if the ZDDP additive would produce noticeable residue when proportioned into an ashless oil.

....Cotten
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 06-05-2017 at 10:41 AM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Quote Originally Posted by T. Cotten View Post
    Steve!

Its expensive, but you might consider an additive such as http://www.eastwood.com/ew-zddp-oil-additive-4-oz.html.
    (There seems to be several on the market..)

Hopefully you would still have the benefits of a basically ash-less oil, with the extra cushion of zinc.

When a few drops of an ashless oil (such as Aeroshell, the only one I tested) is gently cooked on a Pyrex plate with a propane torch, it bubbles, lets off some white fumes, and volatilizes to leave next to no residue.
    An ordinary oil, however, produces noxious black smoke, and leaves significant tarry residue. With extended heat, it becomes quite hard, and will not wash off with spirits.

The advantage of an ashless oil for a total-loss machine, particularly when much of it is past the rings, is obvious.
    So it would be interesting to know if the ZDDP additive would produce noticeable residue when proportioned into an ashless oil.

....Cotten
    Tom, THANK YOU ! great info to know on ashless dispersant oil ! Would one run the same pyrex/hot plate test on ZDDP to test for residue ? Do you feel a zinc additive is something a JD engine needs ?

and....... keep your eye open for a surprise coming via Fedex, Thursday, thereabouts !
    Last edited by Steve Swan; 06-05-2017 at 12:08 PM.