Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1977 FLH Confederate Edition Bike

Quote Originally Posted by exeric View Post
    At some point in any deal, you have to go with your gut, and heart. Apparently, you don't have much passion for the Indian, other than it's monetary potential. With that in mind, I don't think you're going to make a good deal. I don't mean to come off so harsh, but I can't get jiggly with your monetary motivation, and I think the guy with the Indian is going to see that.
    Eric,
    Thank you very much for your replies. I do in fact would love to have an Indian, although I am not to keen on this year of chief. It may only be because of the frontend only, but I could always replace it with a leaf spring frontend just for my liking. I would also have to round up a sidecar, which I would have to do with any Indian anyways because of my left leg issue along with adding an electric starter and some kind of reverse. My cheap CE already has these options, except for a sidecar. I have a Harley sidecar, but it is on my 69 FLHB that also has reverse.

I guess if I do the trade, and want to keep the Indian, I would have to through around 15k at it straight away to be able to ride it and that is not including the frontend or have anything else wrong with it.
    This should really not be a hard decision to go ahead with the trade if everything is in order with both bikes, but I still do not understand why one would trade roughly a 20k bike for a roughly 9k bike. I really need to take some one that knows their Indians so I am not getting jipped somehow because I really do not know enough about Indians, although I would really like to enjoy one. I will do some research and go from there.

If starting is going to be an issue, then you don't want an Indian. Just based on the Indians, and H-Ds I have owned, I think Indians are a bit harder to start. Indians have a longer stroke than a Harley, and that may be the difference. When they are well timed, and maintained, they start reliably, and can easily be a one kick bike.

Regarding the girder fork, I think that would grow on you, and I've always liked the way they handled.

Indian sidecars are considerably more expensive and rarer that H-D sidecars.

A friend with mobility issues put an electric starter on his Bonneville Chief. Worked very well, and allowed him to pursue his favorite pastime of bar-hopping. I never cared for the looks of the electric starter assembly, but it served it's purpose.

Like any old motorcycle, it can be a work in progress and you don't have to do everything at one time. Keep us posted on what you decide.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Eric!

If Indians are harder to start, its because more people are watching you.

....Cotten
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Quote Originally Posted by T. Cotten View Post
    Eric!

If Indians are harder to start, its because more people are watching you.

....Cotten
    You're right about that; seems to be one of motorcycling's more irritating bromides
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Quote Originally Posted by exeric View Post
    You're right about that; seems to be one of motorcycling's more irritating bromides
    Because its true.

Especially for Indians, since they get more attention.

But it irritates Harleyriders too,

If it takes their attention away....

...Cotten
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 06-02-2017 at 06:33 PM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Speaking of frontend, I saw a 1940 inline four with a Harley Hydraglide frontend and a mid 40s Indian with a knuckle girder frontend today. They looked different, but surprising well.
    I wrote a post about my mobility issues dealing with my 1969 FLHB sidecar bike. It really sucks having a really bum left leg for sure. I could not trade the 69 off for sure, it would take a lot more than that I am afraid to say.
    I will let you all know what I decide to do with the Indian trade. Thanks!

S.E.N.Y. State American side of Hudson River

[QUOTE=ryan;163978]Speaking of frontend, I saw a 1940 inline four with a Harley Hydraglide frontend.

May have been the one I saw at Oley a couple years ago. Maybe 3 years ago. It had a blacked out late Panhead nacelle front end. After looking at it for 30 seconds and getting by the shock of it all, I realized it looked absolutely stunning.
    D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

[QUOTE=D.A.Bagin;163980]
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    Speaking of frontend, I saw a 1940 inline four with a Harley Hydraglide frontend.

May have been the one I saw at Oley a couple years ago. Maybe 3 years ago. It had a blacked out late Panhead nacelle front end. After looking at it for 30 seconds and getting by the shock of it all, I realized it looked absolutely stunning.
    As a matter of fact the 1940 was black and had the Indian front fender on it as well. It did in deed look very stunning. The other Indian was cream with a red frame and had no front fender at all. It could have even had a scout rigid frame the more I think about it. It was a race bike of some sort, but not a hill climber, but had a chief motor for sure.

I need to get a camera to upload pics, but I only have a kindle at this point in time.