Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: sidecar mounting question

Ok after all my typing and info, there are no issues with your mounting, you just simply want it to be a rigid mount. The info you first gave sent some of us to consider something was wrong somewhere when there is simply nothing wrong. I do not understand why you want to re-invent something that has worked for years on thousands of bikes, but it is your project.

So for you to run rigid mounting with your frame, you may need to add a gusset on your frame if you do not already have one. It would be like this part number originally for a left frame repair part# 47261-68. I pretty sure you will not need it, but I gave it just in case.

the gusset is in place, i do the right side gusset on all 4 speed frames after having several crack at the cast steel/ tube joint. also a large gusset has been added to the seat tube post at the base. this frame has had all the oem welds touched up with tig welding. tig for low heat, penetration, and control mig for general welds and stick for high stress like the lower mount for side car.

running a standard 4 speed trans,
    " this quote from your next to to last post kind of baffles me because the rear mount is above this piece for the rigid frame bikes, the round swing arm bikes and the square swing arm bikes." .....my new mount retains this same offset, look at the pics, the 58 mount is in place and is being used as a reference point to fab new mount, using the lower cross tube only requires an inch and a quarter difference in height to match the 58 mount, i know the oem mounts will clear the kicker, just dont like tugging on the swing arm.

Cotton, the swing arm mounts for 58 and 73 have a different offset, the short pivoting part with the rubber bushing this compensates for the width difference between the square and round swing arms

Quote Originally Posted by mark59 View Post
    Cotton, the swing arm mounts for 58 and 73 have a different offset, the short pivoting part with the rubber bushing this compensates for the width difference between the square and round swing arms
    I know, Mark!

Attached is a comparison of the square swingarm mount on the right, and a round swingarm mount on the left (new reproduction).
    Note that not only is the offset different, so is the height of the balljoint above the stud, and the length of the stud as well.

That's exactly why I posted that only an attempt at assembly would tell if there is a toe-in problem (and perhaps a camber issue as well) .
    Even with a proper round swingarm mount, it took quite a bit of effort to properly set up a '71 hack upon my '65s. There is a reason the forward brace is adjustable!

Ironically, with a rigid rear mount, the same hack frame then hooked up to my '49 frame perfectly. So either something was different with the Shovel frame geometry that the hack was originally set up for, or it was botched badly by the dealership.

....Cotten
    Attached Images Attached Images
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Quote Originally Posted by mark59 View Post
    running a standard 4 speed trans,
    " this quote from your next to to last post kind of baffles me because the rear mount is above this piece for the rigid frame bikes, the round swing arm bikes and the square swing arm bikes." .....my new mount retains this same offset, look at the pics, the 58 mount is in place and is being used as a reference point to fab new mount, using the lower cross tube only requires an inch and a quarter difference in height to match the 58 mount, i know the oem mounts will clear the kicker, just dont like tugging on the swing arm.
    I answered myself on the gusset post. You just must of not noticed it was me. This post was before it clicked for me. Lol