Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Question / Removing petrified 1958 harley davidson fL rear fender tip mount screws

Success ! !

A few more weeks of daily application of various and sundry chemicals, witches brews, etc. and I was finally able to ease the screws out with a tight fitting driver blade.

Question >>> where can I source two replacement screws? Colony? I care only for function (SST would be nice).

Thanks for all of the helpful suggestions!

20170708_135237.jpg

Perfectly functional SS screws are available at any good hardware store.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

It was good to read you got the job done!
    Jim

AMCA #6520

Spuddley,
    Might I detect a British accent in your language?
    Bill Pedalino
    Huntington, New York
    AMCA 6755

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Pedalino View Post
    Spuddley,
    Might I detect a British accent in your language?
    No British origins with me, Bill. just very good English composition teachers when I was in school, I suppose. Eh?

Rubone >>> you wrote, "Perfectly functional SS screws are available at any good hardware store. ". You are correct, and there is a very good fasteners aisle at the Ace Hardware just up the road here in Homosassa. Probably the best that I have seen in over 20 years. The closest fastener that they had that might work is a button head hex drive 10-24 x 3/8" L to replace slotted panhead (pun intended) screw 10-24 x 1/4" L. they also had the #10 external lock washers in SST as well. They will probably work just fine and at a total cost of less that one dollar I will certainly give 'em a try.

If I am replacing any inner fender threaded fasteners (head on the inside) that doesn't necessarily require an OEM configuration, I have over the years developed a preference for SST hardware, in a button head configuration if available.

Now on to de-rusting the fender, carefully straightening out the fender tip itself, fender/license plate holder/tail lamp re-assembly, re-wire, re-attach to frame and then on to the next wiring replacement activity.

12292012.jpg