Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Question / Removing petrified 1958 harley davidson fL rear fender tip mount screws

Yes, and I also neglected to mention the sure-fire way that old-school house painters used to use to keep paint from creeping! You know that one, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Omarttentmaker View Post
    Yes, and I also neglected to mention the sure-fire way that old-school house painters used to use to keep paint from creeping! You know that one, right?
    Omar!

Please explain "creeping"?

....Cotten
    PS: And Folks, a torch in the wrong hands is always a disaster. That's why I explained how to avoid loosening the blocks.
    PPS: I tried to google paint creep and got videos of babes in bikinis. Had to shut it down to save data....!
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 05-16-2017 at 01:03 PM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Rather than a torch of any kind, would a HEAT GUN heating (using low heat at first) on the outside with the Kroil applied working on the threads? Just a thought.
    Jim

AMCA #6520

Good grief People.

Not just "a torch of any kind".

Mine can produce an oxy-acetylene flame a sixteenth of an inch long, and even narrower.
    Trying to photograph it took much, much longer than loosening a screw.

It ain't like Mr. T on 'The A-Team' welding with a three-foot cutting torch!
    If you don't have the resources, find a professional that does.

....Cotten
    PS: Sorry Jim,
    I'm not taking in any new accounts http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/bbo...y+announcement, but I've told you what you need to know.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 05-16-2017 at 12:45 PM.
    AMCA #776

If the paint "ran", so to speak...It would look like a wave on the wall shortly after it was applied. the result of the paint being too thick.....And you can guess how the painter solved this dilemma!

I pity the fool that doesn't have a Henrob/Dillon torch!

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by T. Cotten View Post
    Good grief People.

Not just "a torch of any kind".

Mine can produce an oxy-acetylene flame a sixteenth of an inch long, and even narrower.
    Trying to photograph it took much, much longer than loosening a screw.

It ain't like Mr. T on 'The A-Team' welding with a three-foot cutting torch!
    If you don't have the resources, find a professional that does.

....Cotten
    PS: Sorry Jim,
    I'm not taking in any new accounts http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/bbo...y+announcement, but I've told you what you need to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Omarttentmaker View Post
    If the paint "ran", so to speak...It would look like a wave on the wall shortly after it was applied. the result of the paint being too thick.....And you can guess how the painter solved this dilemma!
    I cannot guess, Omar!

I'm so bad with paint, I apply it with a cheap paper towel.

....Cotten
    AMCA #776

Quote Originally Posted by Shaky Jake View Post
    I pity the fool that doesn't have a Henrob/Dillon torch! Kevin
    A common torch will do the trick, too, Folks!

Here's a TorchWeld "Bantam" Model 44 by National Cylinder Gas Co. of Chicago.
    I just haven't hooked it up for a quarter century. The Henrob uses a fraction of the ga$, and its a whole lot more ergonomic.

....Cotten
    Attached Images Attached Images
    AMCA #776

Spuddley, if you do resort to the application of heat- cautiously and judiciously, of course- and don't care to invest in professional-grade equipment, a very fine and focused blue flame can be achieved with an inexpensive MAPP torch. These can be found for well under $100, and can be handy for other small tasks as well. It's not so much the equipment used, as it is the care and attention of the user. Plenty of sound advice already given.

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
    Spuddley, if you do resort to the application of heat- cautiously and judiciously, of course- and don't care to invest in professional-grade equipment, a very fine and focused blue flame can be achieved with an inexpensive MAPP torch. These can be found for well under $100, and can be handy for other small tasks as well. It's not so much the equipment used, as it is the care and attention of the user. Plenty of sound advice already given.
    A quick search on ebay, Folks...

Was pretty disappointing, except maybe for this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/098c-Bernzom...3D222511390966

The rest were over-kill,

....Cotten
    AMCA #776