Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Indian powerplus transmission dating

I have a '17 Little Twin with 3 speed gearbox - I can check the S/N and get back to you.

regards
    Dave

1916 transmission 007.jpg1916 transmission 008.jpg1916 transmission 009.jpgHere are some pictures of the transmission for my 1916 Indian. I assume it is original to the bike as it came to me with it.

Spacke2speed,
    I hope that was just frustration speaking. We have all learned from your posts and appreciate you taking the time to share your knowledge!
    Thanks, Dale

Quote Originally Posted by 26harleyj View Post
    Attachment 19688Attachment 19689Attachment 19690

Ok, here are some photos of the trans out of my '17 little twin which has been pieced together. The end cover is the same as yours Painterdale and has the "I" prefix which I believe to be correct for 1917. Now the case you can see has the machined section for the bolt on oil filler on the back side. I can now see the differences between the cases on my 1915 and this 1920ish case, thank you Spacke2speed.

Painterdale, would you be able to take some photos of the front side of your trans case to see if it has any different bumps or ridges to my 1920ish case?
    Jamie,
    I'm not sure these will help you at all. My transmission is pretty crusty down there. Maybe this weekend I can knock some of that grime off to get a better look.
    Dale

Jamie
    As you asked, I tried to PM some '15 transmission pictures to you, but again, this Forum format will not let me and/or I still have not figured this Forum format out. I am not a computer guy. I can send pictures thru regular e-mail. As per Dale's comment of being frustrated, yes, as they say, a pictures is worth a 1000 words, and there is not misunderstanding of words with a pictures.
    Spacke2speed

Hi

Here are the photos that have been referred to by Spacke2speed

The first 2 are of a '15 with the shifting interlocks on the front
    IMG_0757 smaller.jpgIMG_0760 smaller.jpg

These next three have the interlock occurring on the shifter. Pics of the shifter will be in the next post.

IMGP0542.JPGIMGP0543.JPG

Thanks for sending me the pics
    Last edited by panthersteve; 05-05-2017 at 01:39 AM.
    1914 P&M
    1915 Indian (project)
    1930 M50 Panther
    1958 M35sport Panther

Here are pics of the shifter

Missing from the pictures is the ball on the end of the shifter.* The ball has a recess for a spring which locks the paddle in the notches on the quadrant.* At the top of the quadrant is the word “HIGH” and at the bottom of the quadrant is the word “LOW”.

IMGP0544.JPGIMGP0545.JPGIMGP0546.JPG
    1914 P&M
    1915 Indian (project)
    1930 M50 Panther
    1958 M35sport Panther

Now that I have posted those pics a question, am I right in assuming the second gearbox with the interlock at the shifter is a 2 speed? The reason I assume this is that I can only see 3 locking positions which would be High and Low as you mentioned and Neutral.

If this is 2 speed was the 3 speed gearbox also available in this style or would a 3 speed be like the other gearbox pictured with the interlock on the gearbox.

Cheers
    Steve
    1914 P&M
    1915 Indian (project)
    1930 M50 Panther
    1958 M35sport Panther

Steve
    The two-speed transmission are a lot narrower and smaller when compared to a three speed. Yes, the transmission pictured without the interlock is a three speed.
    If you look at the picture (middle one) of the shifter taken from the gas tank side (with the mounting tabs towards you), you can just make out that at the bottom there is a third notch (vertical notch) on the front of the bottom flat mounting part. When the shifting lever is all the way down, the interlock paddle’s locking tab actual locks in place below the quadrant.
    Back then, at that time, I had a choice of which transmission I wanted to use as I had both types. I liked the way the shifter and ball looked and operating with the paddle interlock. So that was the shifter and transmission I used for a little over 25 years of riding that Indian.
    Spacke2speed

Thanks, I can see the notch now you explain where it is

You were lucky having both to choose from, I haven't been able to find either for sale yet despite having wanted adds in a few places and talking to many people.

Cheers
    Steve
    1914 P&M
    1915 Indian (project)
    1930 M50 Panther
    1958 M35sport Panther