Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Right hand tank shift

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    I was thinking of either adding a mousetrap or mousetrap eliminater and moving the clutch up to the handlebar one of two ways: left side with RH shift and keep the RH throttle or stranger yet, move the throttle to the LH side and run it with a panhead timing advance unit and move and run the hand clutch lever to the right side. This will however take a little getting use to.

Let me add I will be running with a sidecar.

Thanks for all advice. I just want ride and stay away from riding a trike.

I would like my quoted above idea to be the very last result period. So, I guess what I am hearing is this is going to be pretty rough with no straight forward Harley parts. Let's say we switch directions and make it look like it was factory made.
    I hopefully would like to make the modification without wrecking any original parts, for instance taking a rh shifter; with corresponding gate, if one applies, and modifying an aftermarket tank for there placement? The clutch lever can still move up to the LH side of handlbar with a mousetrap. Yes, I really want to use a mousetrap unless makes it too busy in the confined space that already exists, but I would still like to try to use the mouse trap.

I would even consider using Indian shift lever parts including their RH shifter.

Thank you all again for your input, you all are greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by ryan; 04-19-2017 at 11:38 AM.

Cotton I do not think your picture is of the righthand shift bellcrank. Looks like a seat bracket! I'll take a picture of mine and post it. Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by T. Cotten View Post
    I really can't figure this thing out, Folks!

The '36-'48 Parts Catalog (pg. 48) suggests 2216-37, but it looks like the shaft should have square detentes for the levers, and why does it have captured nuts, instead of just holes?
    (And the spacing isn't the same either!)

Thanks in advance,

....Cotten

Yup, Cotten's picture is a seat mount for a frame mount buddy seat.

Ryan,
    The shifter pivot is available as a repair part for left tanks, it can likely easily be adapted to the right side. A 3&R shift gate for a '39-'46 tank will easily adapt to a stock tank with a couple of blind bungs added. The shifter bellcrank would be the toughest but easily fabricated, although it would likely require a single right sided exhaust as it goes right where the crossover pipe would be.
    I still don't understand your resistance to a foot shifter modified for a prosthetic though. Guys have been using that type set-up for as long as foot shifters have existed. Since ratchet tops return to a central spot it is easy to shift.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

When a friend lost the use of his legs he dreamed up a combination of H-D parts to modify the bike so he could ride it. First was to install a tank shift lid on the gearbox. Second was to get a left hand tank shift tank and all the shifting linkage. Once all of that was put on the bike he used a section of handlebar with a plug in one end. He drilled and tapped the plug and screwed it on the shift lever in place of the ball. He put a hand grip on it and attached the hand clutch lever to it. So now he can clutch and shift with the same hand.
    He used a V Rod hydraulic hand clutch lever master cylinder to activate the rear brake.
    All H-D parts and the only thing that got cut was an old handlebar.
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Golly Folks,

I thought a frame-mount seat bracket looked like this (attached).
    If anyone can give me a part number, it would be appreciated!

Sorry Ryan, I thought I had something that would help....

.....Cotten
    BNCHMNT.jpg
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

There are companies that make system's designed for paraplegics. It runs on pneumatic.
    AMCA #765

I am not sure if a ratchet top can be used with a 3R tranny. I am not sure if the 3R shifter drum will work in ratchet top? Those are my concerns.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Haynes View Post
    When a friend lost the use of his legs he dreamed up a combination of H-D parts to modify the bike so he could ride it. First was to install a tank shift lid on the gearbox. Second was to get a left hand tank shift tank and all the shifting linkage. Once all of that was put on the bike he used a section of handlebar with a plug in one end. He drilled and tapped the plug and screwed it on the shift lever in place of the ball. He put a hand grip on it and attached the hand clutch lever to it. So now he can clutch and shift with the same hand.
    He used a V Rod hydraulic hand clutch lever master cylinder to activate the rear brake.
    All H-D parts and the only thing that got cut was an old handlebar.

Thanks for your reply, I kind of thought the same way and taking that approach. My only thought on that was to use either a mousetrap or a mousetrap eliminater. Leaning toward a mousetrap on this whole setup.

Thanks again!

A friend built a footshift 3&R for his bike years ago. He made up a custom shift drum from parts of both. It worked great. The bike was actually an endurance event bike and he used the reverse to back out of bad situations. Anything is possible.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736