Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 101 Scout... going to take a while

Very interesting work, do you have any pictures of the die they made to crush the tubing?

Quote Originally Posted by rustynutz View Post
    Very interesting work, do you have any pictures of the die they made to crush the tubing?
    I don't, but I think it's visible on the table in one of those pictures?
    Pisten Bulley is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

The hub looks like JD Harley or early WL - they are similar except for the width. Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by pisten-bully View Post
    I got a bit of interesting information on my front wheel hub this morning (thanks to the sharp eyes of Dave on the Caimag site), until he mentioned the dished flange away from the brake side, I had never paid attention. Brake drum, spoke count, and rim size all looked good.... but this is not the correct hub! I measured it up and it's way wrong.... sheesh. So now I need to figure out what it is and where to get the correct hub. Makes sense that it's not the right one, the rear wheel that came with it turned out to be Henderson. One step forward and two steps back....at least I hadn't painted it and laced it up to the new rim!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Wieland View Post
    The hub looks like JD Harley or early WL - they are similar except for the width. Jerry
    Thanks Jerry, this one is 3 1/8" wide. I put a listing up as I'd love to see it go where it's needed (and to recoup some of the cost to acquire the correct one from Kent Thompson!)

http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/bbo...737#post174737

Haven't posted in nine months, sorry 'bout that!

I've been chipping away at small stuff and just recently started to try and hang some sheet metal. The fenders have been "roughed in" with the cracks welded, extra holes welded up, and the larger dents rolled out, but nothing approaching a finished appearance until I can get them fitting correctly.

The rear fender went on fairly smoothly, but I've got a large gap between the generator/seat spring plate and the fender:

The front fender fit nicely in the forks, but I'm looking at some fit problems where the fender stays are bolted to the fork down low.

The lower brackets between the stays that fit onto the fork and rocker bolt are nowhere near where they belong....

Last edited by pisten-bully; 06-26-2019 at 05:56 PM.

And I've got the spokes and nipples all painted so that I can lace the hubs to the rims.... realizing of course that checking sheet metal fit without wheels is not the best thing to do!

Last edited by pisten-bully; 06-26-2019 at 05:54 PM.

For some strange reason the pictures don’t show on my I-pad. They do show on my desktop machine.

Now they don't even show on my desktop...so I reloaded them. Strange!
    Last edited by pisten-bully; 06-26-2019 at 05:57 PM.

It’s good to see someone else working on a 101. I had to make the brackets for my fenders and it took forever to get everything lined up correctly. Good luck and keep posting.

I'm hoping someone can give me a measurement next time they remove their front wheel? I'm still having difficulty fitting the front fender and I suspect the arc of the fender is either too flat or too tight, and I'd like to use the original braces and holes. Thanks in advance!

On my repop fender it is exactly 31 inches. Hope this helps