Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 101 Scout... going to take a while

Works for me, Harry!
    Dale

I've learned a lot from from your other build thread so I look forward to following you on this build.
    Last edited by TH47Indy; 03-27-2017 at 11:59 AM.

Nothing special here, but this is how I split the tanks. Using a soldering iron I worked my way around the tank on the seam and inserted popsicle sticks to keep the halves apart (the job would've been much more pleasant had each stick originally held a treat). The corners were tight and I changed to utility knife blades.

Pisten Bulley is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

very cool, watching with interest

Not much to report (things got very busy with work... the paying kind) but I did acquire a new wrench. I like tools, I've got three sets of them (warehouse, home, shed) but I didn't have a suitable wrench for removing the head adjusting cone in order to remove the forks. I used a strap wrench until the strap started to shred, so then I bought this beauty, an adjustable hook spanner :

Worked great and now I have another tool! Got it from ZORO.com. Their item# GO494155, $27.84 (it's marked PROTO, mfg #JC472) Should work on my bicycle, too!

Well, not much to to report as it’s now the summer ride season and I concentrated on getting my Chief ready, and then riding it! But I have run into a question about the holes in the casting for the kicker return stop. The forward hole had a broken off bolt in it.

I tried a couple of methods for removal but then resorted to drilling and re-tapping. When I drilled the front hole I could go deep into the casting, but with the rear hole it appears that there is either another broken bolt in there, or that rear hole requires a short bolt as the frame tube is brazed far enough into the casting to keep the hole shallow.

So I wonder if anyone can tell me if the rear hole for the kicker stop is normally shallow like this? Thanks!

Good job splitting the tank. I did the tank on my 101, and it is a job, but worth the effort. Getting it clean is the key, and a lot harder than it seems. I also made the mounting bungs much bigger diameter than the originals, which gave more bearing surface inside the tank.

Keep up the good work. 101's are special!

Quote Originally Posted by djones View Post
    Keep up the good work. 101's are special!
    Thanks Doug, and now I feel like I shouldn't have started this thread because it's very difficult to keep one of these threads current! When I have the spare time I will work on the 101...OR I'll ride my Chief and completely neglect updating the build report on the internet! BTW, I continue to use your build story and pictures as reference, extremely helpful, thank-you! So I will put some time into updates....after Labor Day! I've made progress!

I second that, keep up the good work Harry, that 101 is going to be great!
    Damon

It's very difficult to stay on top of a build thread. Taking pictures at critical junctures often interferes with the enthusiasm of the project. . . But, it's worth it, and I think most everyone will agree that a build thread is their most favorite feature on this forum.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886