Thread: Water slide Decals

Default Water slide Decals

How do you remove decals that have not been coated without damaging the paint? I put one on my toolbox several years ago and never coated it. It has got some chips in it and I want to replace it and coat this time like I should have to begin with.
    Bob Selph
    1933VC/1934LT Sidecar
    1940 Sport Scout
    AMCA#15215

High pressure car wash

Soak it with a wet rag for awhile. Should come off with your fingernail.
    20scout

it is very tricky clear coating over them, good luck

If you have clear coat underneath the decal ( which it sounds like you don't ) you can sand the decal off with 2000 grit wet or dry ( do it wet ) . This can also be done with regular plain paint , just cross your fingers you don't go thru . To go over the new decal you need a real fast drying clear . I just did some with "PPG Deltron DC 2000 " ( very expensive about $200 a quart with reducer & hardener ) . A few very light coats with drying over night & very light sanding ( 2000 grit ) in between . then follow up with as many heavier coats as you like . Like Tom said in the last reply" it is very tricky " !! Good luck

Get your hands on one of those rubber eraser wheels. They are made for removing pinstripe tape. It will buzz it right off.
    Dale