Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: September Chattanooga Tn Road Run Question

What is the host hotel for the Smoky Mountain roadrun? Can't seem to find any info or details. I missed the registration deadline but was hoping to get in anyway.

Howdy chaps,

Acceptional event capped off by awesome locations for opening and closing get togethers of which the banquet held outdoors in the quadrangle at the train museum downtown Chattanooga with many bikes lined up alongside the railroad cars. The raffle included many items of interest but what spurred many attendees to purchase additional tickets was this item, an expertly hand rendered instrument built around a Hummer headlight cowl(?).

Very appropriate as the missus and I recently coming of the Sunflower Blues Festival, Sourthern Heritage Festival, King Biscuit Blues Festival next week followed by the Crescent City Blues & BBQ in New Orleans only 2 days later. Making a bracket now for this to take up residence with my multiple signed Gibson knock off in the old shop.

My gratitude to the tireless organizers for this piece and a very well run event.

Peter, Some of the best roads I've ever ridden. My thanks too for your rescue of two of my fellow riders on two separate occasions with your huge white motorcycle ambulance. Rich
    DrSprocket

Glad to do so sir, both patients faint of pulse and no longer ambulatory. The missus marveled that of the two machines fetched back to the ranch four days apart from each other both operated out of the same van/riding group, what're the chances of that out of 160 plus machines there.

If the hapless chap is on here I stopped to check on enroute back while carrying one of the above machines on Saturday night with the other red Chief kaput or nearly so riding in the dark on the shoulder of I 24, I should have given you my cell in case you didn't make it. Forget to in the life threatening thunder and wind of passing semi's on that split exit I chose unwisely to stop in the middle of.
    Last edited by PRG; 09-26-2017 at 07:51 PM.

I have been to five road runs in past two years and this one was the bEst planned/managed I have attended. This chapter spent a lot of time on preparation. Thanks!

Howdy chaps,

You know, in the last several decades at Bike Week I've seen burly biker blokes leading diminutive far easterner types around on rented HD's under the heading of "route captain" and who hasn't gotten a chuckle seeing a fluorescent vested one directing traffic around a wadded up machine laying in the road at the S curves on Bellevue behind the airport while the miscreant and a half dozen of his crazed buddies on other test ride machines from manufacturer's row in front of the speedway look on disinterestedly.

Never thought to apply it to road runs. 25 years ago my crew wanted to be at the sharp end of the spear of the pack and first ones back to the ranch at the end of the day even if it meant numerous wrong turns and more mileage. Now old and dusty and content to "leave the driving to us", as the old bus commercials once touted, it was nice to follow someone who REALLY knew where they were going. The organizers broke us out in run groups with a leader in an orange shirt, and get this, marked almost very intersection or turn with pink painted arrows on the road delineated by date and length of that ride S/R for short and long. For those of us choosing between machines with comfort/no brakes to speak of and plenty of brakes and but numbing discomfort the first page of each days S/R run maps had a graph depicting elevation changes, frequency thereof, over mileage and total elevation deviation from starting point so the right ride could be hoisted from the van.
    Last edited by PRG; 09-26-2017 at 09:34 PM.