Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Linkert bore grind marks?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Central Illinois, USA
    Posts
    2,966

    Default Linkert bore grind marks?

    I hope I can ask a tech question here, Folks,..

    ...Without getting a schoolgirl rant like other forums.

    How many of you noticed grind marks in their Linkerts like the attachment?

    Anybody got a reason for them?

    Mine scares me.

    Thanks in advance,

    ....Cotten
    Attached Images Attached Images
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    496

    Default

    I have noticed them, I would just assume it was their quick way of deburring the hole.
    Bob Rice #6738
    He that conquereth his own soul is greater than he who taketh a city.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Jersey City
    Posts
    1,896

    Default

    Tom, I never understood why you see every Linkert carb as a Swiss watch. There not. It was a quick produced carburetor. After drilling it would go down the line like any other produced item. I'm willing to bet as it made it's way down the line after drilling there was a guy with a die grinder that hit every area with after-mass sticking out. He didn't give a rats ass what it looked like. His only job was to get rid of it. Bob L

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Central Illinois, USA
    Posts
    2,966

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Luland View Post
    Tom, I never understood why you see every Linkert carb as a Swiss watch. There not. It was a quick produced carburetor. After drilling it would go down the line like any other produced item. I'm willing to bet as it made it's way down the line after drilling there was a guy with a die grinder that hit every area with after-mass sticking out. He didn't give a rats ass what it looked like. His only job was to get rid of it. Bob L
    Maybe you don't give a rat's ass... But I take this seriously.

    ....Cotten
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 02-28-2017 at 05:23 PM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Central Illinois, USA
    Posts
    2,966

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigLakeBob View Post
    I have noticed them, I would just assume it was their quick way of deburring the hole.
    Bob!

    Ain't that overkill for what a knife blade could scrape?

    That's a very crude assumption for an assembly that otherwise had incredibly accurate machining, such as producing the phenomenal idle bleed slots, which I still haven't an explanation any better than for the construction of the Egyptian Pyramids.

    L&L is just a generation past us, but so much has been lost forever.

    ....Cotten
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 02-28-2017 at 05:54 PM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Central Illinois, USA
    Posts
    2,966

    Default

    Here's another clue, Folks (attached),

    ....Cotten
    Attached Images Attached Images
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    496

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by T. Cotten View Post
    Bob!

    Ain't that overkill for what a knife blade could scrape?

    That's a very crude assumption for an assembly that otherwise had incredibly accurate machining, such as producing the phenomenal idle bleed slots, which I still haven't an explanation any better than for the construction of the Egyptian Pyramids.

    L&L is just a generation past us, but so much has been lost forever.

    ....Cotten
    You know Tom, maybe I'm just not in a great mood today, but I sure don't get your attitude. You ask a question and then you say its a VERY crude assumption. What's your f'n answer then? Or will it be like last time when you ask how to fix something and then don't want to share how you did it. I machine every day and I wouldn't deburr like that, but I'm with Bob L on this one, a production part and the guy had to make time or be in the soup line. A knife blade on the front side of the hole is easy, back side not so much and time consuming, and 60% of the time the blade slips out of the hole and scratches the bore, then you would probably complain about that. Tom, I appreciate and learn from what you share but sometimes you come across pretty crude yourself.
    Bob Rice #6738
    He that conquereth his own soul is greater than he who taketh a city.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Central Illinois, USA
    Posts
    2,966

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigLakeBob View Post
    You know Tom, maybe I'm just not in a great mood today, but I sure don't get your attitude. You ask a question and then you say its a VERY crude assumption. What's your f'n answer then? Or will it be like last time when you ask how to fix something and then don't want to share how you did it. I machine every day and I wouldn't deburr like that, but I'm with Bob L on this one, a production part and the guy had to make time or be in the soup line. A knife blade on the front side of the hole is easy, back side not so much and time consuming, and 60% of the time the blade slips out of the hole and scratches the bore, then you would probably complain about that. Tom, I appreciate and learn from what you share but sometimes you come across pretty crude yourself.
    Its like this Bob,

    I have enormous respect for the producers of the hardware that made our machines legendary.

    Our task as custodians of not only the hardware, but their legacy, is to study them beyond farting in the dark about them, declaring they were hacked out.

    If that's bad attitude, then I own it.

    My last post was a clue as to why I believe they did it. Ain't that "sharing"?

    ....Cotten
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    496

    Default

    As the bolts are drawn in it becomes round again, or if a warped face it won't draw and bind the plate.
    Bob Rice #6738
    He that conquereth his own soul is greater than he who taketh a city.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Central Illinois, USA
    Posts
    2,966

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigLakeBob View Post
    As the bolts are drawn in it becomes round again, or if a warped face it won't draw and bind the plate.
    You are making the assumption, Bob,..

    ..That the bore was created while torqued.

    Tightening, or over-tightening, otherwise only distorts it further.

    Was the crude de-burring merely because they were bored un-torqued?

    Sad if it was....

    ....Cotten
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •