Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Olive Green

John, I have never seen an inner primary, or inside front chain guard for an early J Harley. I don't dispute the authenticity of the color, but I have to believe the guard was custom made. I also can't dispute the need for such a cover as it can get very messy in that area; hence the survival of so many outside front chain guards.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Quote Originally Posted by exeric View Post
    John, I have never seen an inner primary, or inside front chain guard for an early J Harley. I don't dispute the authenticity of the color, but I have to believe the guard was custom made. I also can't dispute the need for such a cover as it can get very messy in that area; hence the survival of so many outside front chain guards.
    Eric, I have a few small areas of original paint on my bike such as some parts of the toolbox, some other areas that were covered by brackets and of course the inside of the tanks so I do know that the colour of the inner chainguard is correct.

I have learned something new because I assumed that all early J's had the inside part to the primary chain guard. I am pretty sure it isn't a custom part because it is stamped and is a perfect fit. It looks like a factory part. Also, the 1920 parts list states that there is a part called a "front chain guard inside plate" so I have to believe that my part is an original factory item. However the book implies that this part started in 1920 as it isn't listed for earlier years, just 20 & 21 (my book only goes up to 1921.).

John

Never too young to learn something new. So that inside plate must have started in 1920 as I haven't seen such a plate in earlier parts books. Thanks for that information, John. As I said, it was a very good idea and H-D should have done that on all their early chain drive models. In regards to matching paint; it is best to have a talented paint matcher get it right. I have found that paint numbers are only close, but rarely spot on. Also, you have to believe that H-D, Triumph, Indian, etc. bought their paint by the barrel, so it was no doubt mixed by weight. That means some guy was looking at a needle on a scale, on a Monday morning, and saying "Aww Hell, that's close enough"
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886