Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25

Thread: carb finish

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    14

    Default carb finish

    I am looking for the correct carb finish on my 35 Chief. I have an M6A with Indian stamped under it. Not sure if this is 100% correct but I have two carbs, one is bare the other has a black finish. Is one closer to correct than the other? Any input will be helpful.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    204

    Default

    The early Linkert M6 carburetors (you can recognize them easiest by only two air filter mounting threads) were nickel plated. The black finished ones with the four threads for the air-filter are 1940ies style and I would use one like these on 1939up Chiefs with the larger filter.

    If the DLX108 was painted or bare I do not know. The ones I have/had had no paint on them.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Central Illinois, USA
    Posts
    4,343

    Default

    Indian45!

    Since most Beck productions had the four-bolt air intake, it is best to sort them by the script on the side: "Langsenkamp-Linkert" would have been 'flash' nickel, whereas "L&L Manufacturing" would have been "aluminum" (silver) for '40-'42 productions, and black for post-War productions.

    It was spec'd for the 1931-1938 Indian Chief, so "period correct", I suppose.

    Some sources believe the potmetal DLXs would have been black after about the middle of '33.

    ....Cotten
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 01-23-2017 at 09:59 AM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by indian45 View Post
    I am looking for the correct carb finish on my 35 Chief. I have an M6A with Indian stamped under it. Not sure if this is 100% correct but I have two carbs, one is bare the other has a black finish. Is one closer to correct than the other? Any input will be helpful.
    I Have a 37 Chief with a DLX 108 on it and have the body and bowl painted black as was advised by an Indian MC Judge. I was sure that the Linkerts M6A and the M6 were after market universal carbs as later replacements for earlier year's Chiefs ans Scouts. However, I can't remember where this information came from. Can't wait to get the corrections. That is beauty for this form.
    Joe

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Thank you for all of the responses, hopefully I'm now heading in the correct direction.
    David

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Central Illinois, USA
    Posts
    4,343

    Default

    Folks,

    I am privy to an M8SA spec sheet that implies that L&L directly produced the replacement carbs marketed by Beck.
    I also have an M8SA where you can still faintly make out the 4s of M441 beneath, which of course has identical specs.

    If "INDIAN" is not stamped above or below the model number, I would suspect it is not a Beck replacement.

    I regret that I have forgotten whom to credit upon the VirtualIndian mailing list for these applications:

    Beck carburetors
    M6 1939-1942 Indian Chief
    M6A 1931-1938 Indian Chief
    M6B 1931-1938 Indian Bonneville
    M6BA 1939-1942 Indian Bonneville
    M6AP 1943-1947 Indian Chief
    M6VL 1930-1936 Harley
    M6S 1934-1938 Indian Sport scout
    M6SA 1934-1938 Indian Sport scout
    M7 1932-1943 Indian 30/40 Jr Scouts
    M7S 1932-1943 Indian 30/40 Jr Scouts
    M7SA 1932-1943 Indian 30/40 Jr Scouts
    M8 1932-1939 Indian 4 cyl.
    M8SA 1938-1942 Indian 4 cyl.

    ....Cotten
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    135

    Default

    Is the M344 on the 48 Chief the brass color stock? Mine came like it with the aluminum colored bowl.
    Quote Originally Posted by T. Cotten View Post
    Folks,

    I am privy to an M8SA spec sheet that implies that L&L directly produced the replacement carbs marketed by Beck.
    I also have an M8SA where you can still faintly make out the 4s of M441 beneath, which of course has identical specs.

    If "INDIAN" is not stamped above or below the model number, I would suspect it is not a Beck replacement.

    I regret that I have forgotten whom to credit upon the VirtualIndian mailing list for these applications:

    Beck carburetors
    M6 1939-1942 Indian Chief
    M6A 1931-1938 Indian Chief
    M6B 1931-1938 Indian Bonneville
    M6BA 1939-1942 Indian Bonneville
    M6AP 1943-1947 Indian Chief
    M6VL 1930-1936 Harley
    M6S 1934-1938 Indian Sport scout
    M6SA 1934-1938 Indian Sport scout
    M7 1932-1943 Indian 30/40 Jr Scouts
    M7S 1932-1943 Indian 30/40 Jr Scouts
    M7SA 1932-1943 Indian 30/40 Jr Scouts
    M8 1932-1939 Indian 4 cyl.
    M8SA 1938-1942 Indian 4 cyl.

    ....Cotten

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Central Illinois, USA
    Posts
    4,343

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RonH View Post
    Is the M344 on the 48 Chief the brass color stock? Mine came like it with the aluminum colored bowl.
    Ron!

    The M344 was produced with a black body, although most have succumbed to fuels, carb cleaners, and modern molestation. I have yet to find an exception to the rule that neither L&L nor Schebler ever produced a bare bronze body.
    (Late '29 to mid '33 Scheblers were probably bare, but they weren't bronze!)

    The Linkert bowls were bare aluminum (with the exception of some nickel'd bronze bowls upon M21s and 31s), although I have witnessed what appeared to be traces of 'aluminum' lacquer on original paint '40-'42 models.

    .....Cotten
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 01-25-2017 at 03:44 PM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    135

    Default

    Thank you!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    116

    Default

    Hi,
    Attached is a nice photo set of an NOS M352 Linkert carburetor - with the box!!! The body was black. Now and then, traces of the original black will be found on the M series Linkert carburetors, but as T. Cotten says; most of the black has disappeared for various reasons. It is reasonable to believe that regular production run carburetors were black, just as those that were sold as boxed carburetors were black.
    1952-53 Indian Chief Carb M-352 A.jpg1952-53 Indian Chief Carb M-352 B.jpg1952-53 Indian Chief Carb M-352 C.jpg1952-53 Indian Chief Carb M-352 D.jpg1952-53 Indian Chief Carb M-352 E.jpg

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •