Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: 1936 el- value?

Quote Originally Posted by JoJo357 View Post
    Answer: Don't think so Herbert. My 43' WLC was torn apart and completely rebuilt, and i didn't see any major differences between the many previously owned WLA's that i tinkered with over the years. The C in the WL designation meant only that it was slated for the Canadian Army Destination--i'm logically guessing tho'!? Oh, another thing, i can't speak for a Complete HD factory army issue, because all the WLA's and WLC's i've owned were stripped civilian models. Now..Do i qualify for the 'BooBee' Prize Herbert?--haha.
    C'ya *M.A.D.*
    Thanks. So far you're in first place!

Were WLC heads and pistons standard WLA issue? Same compression ratio? Was a separate WLC parts catalogue issued? If so, a comparison with WLA engine part numbers would tell the tale.

What I'm trying to determine is whether H-D sometimes used an additional engine letter to identify special contract bikes like the WLC if it shared the same motor as the WLA. Or if the letter was also for a difference in the motor which was their normal practice when assigning an additional letter. But if WLA and WLC engines were identical, then the C was definately for the Canadian contract bike with its many chassis differences. Maybe H-D used letters in more than one way. Gotta prove it though.

Herb,
    All WL series used the same pistons no matter what letter designation. (Except WR but then that isn't a WL series anyway, just based on one). All compression difference was controlled by the heads. The WLA motor wasn't unique. Every part of it was the same as a pre-war WL with the exception of being spec'd with aluminum heads in a lower ratio than civilian production and a tamper proof carb. The WLC was the same spec as far as the engine and carb. I don't have a WLC parts book, but I do have an owners manual and it lists the same specs as a same year WLA.
    Last edited by Rubone; 01-15-2017 at 08:08 PM.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Quote Originally Posted by HarleyCreation View Post
    Thanks. So far you're in first place!

Were WLC heads and pistons standard WLA issue? Same compression ratio? Was a separate WLC parts catalogue issued? If so, a comparison with WLA engine part numbers would tell the tale.

What I'm trying to determine is whether H-D sometimes used an additional engine letter to identify special contract bikes like the WLC if it shared the same motor as the WLA. Or if the letter was also for a difference in the motor which was their normal practice when assigning an additional letter. But if WLA and WLC engines were identical, then the C was definately for the Canadian contract bike with its many chassis differences. Maybe H-D used letters in more than one way. Gotta prove it though.
    Herb,
    The specifications for the military motorcycles built for the Canadian forces in WWII to CMP (Canadian Military Pattern). Captain Tony Miller was at the H-D factory in late 1940 to work all this out with them. Hence the many curious differences between the 1940-41 WLA and the 42 WLC (some of the first of which were made late in the H-D 1941 production year).
    The best evidence for "C" being a special "Canadian" stamp is that beside there being 18,000 or so WLC stamped 45s there were also 44 ELC 61s made. (under the same contract.)

AFJ

Adding aluminum heads and a special carb changed the 45 engine enough to put the "A" into the WLA motor number. Changing the motor meant adding a letter. Standard H-D practice. That's why there should also be some variation in the WLC motor. So far, however, nobody knows of any difference. Yet there "should" be one. Otherwise H-D would logically have used WLA stamped engines in the WLC model. Why complicate things? Unless, of course, they deviated from standard practice in the WLC and the "C" designated the model or contract and not the usual motor difference. The answer is critical to understanding Harley's entire model and motor numbering system.

The same question and answer applies to the ELC and two other H-D mystery motors: those stamped WLH and WLJ. Was the "H" and "J" added to identify some difference in those motors per standard Harley practice, or to identify special contract machines? At this point I'm keeping an open mind either way.

I found info on the 36ES stamped motor. It did exist that one year. I can post it if anyone is interesred.
    Last edited by HarleyCreation; Yesterday at 01:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AFJ View Post
    Herb,
    The specifications for the military motorcycles built for the Canadian forces in WWII to CMP (Canadian Military Pattern). Captain Tony Miller was at the H-D factory in late 1940 to work all this out with them. Hence the many curious differences between the 1940-41 WLA and the 42 WLC (some of the first of which were made late in the H-D 1941 production year).
    The best evidence for "C" being a special "Canadian" stamp is that beside there being 18,000 or so WLC stamped 45s there were also 44 ELC 61s made. (under the same contract.)

AFJ
    Perhaps H-D would have a copy of the WLC/ELC contract - Can-58 - which would indicate exactly how the bikes were to be equipped. Also the "WLC Spare Parts List HD-WLC-04" might show the differences if compared with the WLA parts list. WLCs did use a 30 tooth engine sprocket and were all supplied with a 27 tooth one in case a sidecar was ever fitted. They did have the 5.0-1 compression of the 42 WLAs.
    AFJ

753140a0923f2d9cc42922d8fc617051_zps765478c6.jpg Totally unbelievable, well almost--anything is possible on this planet! This all started with a post in regard to: '1936 EL--Value'? Haha **Caption reads: *Chick--KNUCK KNUCK! *Gent--WHO THERE? *Chick--Is there! *Gent--Is there Who? *Chick--Is there anybody that knows the value of a 36' Knuck Knuck?!?!
    Last edited by JoJo357; Yesterday at 09:28 PM. Reason: additional info.