Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My grandfather's 1916 Indian Power Plus coming back to life

Eric,
    Yes it will be only mechanical.
    Do you know what I should use to seal the current patena?
    Stephen

awesome machine! can you tell us how it was stored all these years and when was the last time anyone rode it or even fired it up? pictures of gramps on it would be cool, too.

Hello All,
    Thank you for all the encouragement.

The bike has been stored in a garage/work shop on the farm from at least the 50s. I am not sure the last time anyone rode it.
    About 30 years back I got new tires and tryed to start it. I determined the magneto was weak and started to work on getting it rebuilt.
    Then life got in the way.
    I now have some time to get it working again.
    Here is a picture of my Grandfather on the bike when he arrived in NE.
    bike.jpg
    Here is his itinerary. It is from a photo album that contains the part of his trip to the west coast he did on the bus.
    itinery001.jpgitinery002.jpg
    I am missing the album of the first half that may still be in my parent's home. The house contains over 50 years of stuff and needs to be completely sorted to make sure the album is not hiding in some box.

I should have the magneto finished by next month. What should I work on next?
    Regards,
    Stephen

cool pics. restore it on the inside, leave it on the outside. what i would do, anyway... good luck.

Very cool bike & story.He did not take the Lincoln highway thru Iowa,the route was mostly US 6...He took "The Great White Way",marked with white poles as markers.Done by the White Pole Auto club.West Liberty to Washington is my neighborhood[Riverside]There is a gravel road south of here still named "Old White Way"that leads into Washington.This photo is the corner of The Great White Way & the Red Ball Route.Red Balls marked the north south road.These were dirt roads in 1919,most highways were not paved in Iowa until 1930

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_6_in_Iowa
    Last edited by duffeycycles; 12-10-2016 at 02:34 PM.

Hi Stephen,
    That is a brilliant original bike that you have. What ever you do, dont use clear coat or any such coatings to seal the paint and patina. I would coat with something like lanolin just to preserve the finish. Dont use anything aggressive and try a small patch in a not so obvious area first. Ive cleaned up a lot of nickle parts on my 1923 Excelsior with WD40 and steelwool, although I would be reluctant to touch the finish on your bike at all as it already looks quite good. Once you start cleaning one bit up, you have to do the lot! You could coat the whole bike in WD40, but its a bit of a pain when you rub against it and get all the dirt and grim on your clothes.

Another thing that you are very luck with is that your bike is an electric model with most of the hard parts still intact like the switch box, horn, battery box and taillight. Do you have the headlight or generator?

Cheers Ben

Hello Ben,

I have not found the light or the generator. My Grandfather must have changed the magneto for a non generator version and made some linkage modifications to make it work. I have that mag out for rebuild and will get the bike working with that one before I start looking for the generator version.
    Thanks for the preservation ideas. It has a good deal of grim already, so I will probably use wd40 on any metal I expose for now.

Thank you,
    Stephen

Hello Roger,
    I will have to look you up when I get to Iowa in 2019.
    Thanks for the route information. I am sure it will be a challange to retrace my Grandfathers route exacty due to all the road changes.

Your icon got me thinking about my muffler.
    Here is a picture of what I removed from the muffler.
    Muffler.jpg
    I think a mouse made a home in it.
    Inside.jpg
    Now it is all clean inside.

Regards,
    Stephen
    Last edited by Grampa1916; 12-30-2016 at 08:05 PM. Reason: to remove old attachments

I too like WD 40 but in time it evaporates. it is not aggressive to original paint and finish. I have also used trumpet oil with great success, the stuff your kid uses in band class. Both of these after a good cleaning with soft soap and warm water and dried by soft clothes very well. Nice bike, you are extremely lucky to have such a family piece.
    Ross

Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    I too like WD 40 but in time it evaporates. it is not aggressive to original paint and finish. I have also used trumpet oil with great success, the stuff your kid uses in band class. Both of these after a good cleaning with soft soap and warm water and dried by soft clothes very well. Nice bike, you are extremely lucky to have such a family piece.
    Hello Ross,
    Thanks for the trumpet oil idea.
    What would you do for the muffler? I just cleaned out debris from the inside of the muffler and I noticed alot of grease and oil buildup on the outside of the pipes and muffler body. My concern is that once I fire up the motor, the pipes will get hot and start burning off the old buildup. The other side is that if I clean them well, they will start to rust. I don't want to paint them because then they will look too new compared to the rest of the bike.

Thanks,
    Stephen