Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pretending to know what I am doing - 1947 FL

I do. There is a LOT of info in it.

Liam,
    Your 47 knuckle basket is nicer then my 47 knuckle basket.
    The 47 order form has a check box for fender light or fender plate for police bikes, they came both ways.
    The first aid kit was a $9.60 option in 47.
    http://www.caimag.com/forum/showthre...e-basket/page5

Jerry

Good luck with your project I'll be watching your progress.If you need any 5$ parts let me know.
    LUCKY AL.

Quote Originally Posted by 1950Panhead View Post
    Liam,
    Your 47 knuckle basket is nicer then my 47 knuckle basket.
    The 47 order form has a check box for fender light or fender plate for police bikes, they came both ways.
    The first aid kit was a $9.60 option in 47.
    http://www.caimag.com/forum/showthre...e-basket/page5

Jerry
    Holy moly. You're not kidding, that thing was kind of rough. That neck! I'm not so skilled in frame work, so I talked to a buddy yesterday about bringing him mine. I'm a firm believer in having a strong frame to start from. (I'll weld a tab or bungs or something, but I don't have the talent for frame building and tube repair just yet. I mean, I would cut a frame, but it seems like stock-dimension bikes are more to my liking. And I wince when I cut things anymore.)

Quote Originally Posted by gurka View Post
    Good luck with your project I'll be watching your progress.If you need any 5$ parts let me know.
    LUCKY AL.
    Thanks, Al. If you have any $5 Knuckle parts, sign me up for them now. Progress will be slow, but I need to stay on my project or I languish. Last night I removed the rear wheel, fender, oil bag, and brake assembly. Tonight I can hopefully pull the front end. The seatpost seems stuck; I gotta look into that and see what's going on. The cracked frame might have something to do with that.

After that it's degrease time... I think I'm gonna go buy a kiddie pool and fill 'er up with some kerosene.

It's more correct and complete than the 47 knuckle basket that I picked up.

S.E.N.Y. State American side of Hudson River

I would be ecstatic if I got a project as complete and correct as that. Nice find.
    D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Well, it doesn't look like much got done, but I did.

I ran the engine up to Paul and Joel at American Cycle Fab. I have early heads (small port), but everything else is 74", so I have this weird homemade manifold. Front head has a big ol' crack from exhaust port to guide, which is apparently common and fixable. (Whew!)

I started stripping the bike so I can get the frame repairs underway. Man, it's slow going. I understand why guys chopped these bikes; there is all sorts of stuff bolted to them and the whole damn bike is a jigsaw puzzle that has to go together in order! I also have no idea how the hell a factory fender gets installed (front especially) without nineteen hands and banged-up paint. I'm glad mine's a bit crusty.

I'm going to find a refrigerator box this week so I can line it and start scrubbing larger items in kerosene. (If I find a kiddie-pool, that would be best, but beggars cannot be choosers. Methinks all the seasonal summer items at Wal*Mart have been put away.)

Now for the "please help me" portion. My damper rod is stuck in place. I tapped at it, and it didn't seem to budge. I don't like to be a roughneck if I don't have to, so I mixed up ATF and kero, and filled 'er up.

Does anyone have any advice for me moving forward?
    Last edited by govmule84; 11-07-2016 at 02:40 PM.

Nice bike - hope you took a ton of pictures. Getting that dampner rod out can be a challenge. You probably will not be able to save it. Stat soaking and them I use heat and a hammer. Worst case you might have to drill the center out of it from the bottom. Only the bottom 1 1/2" is a tight fit.

Jerry
    Last edited by Jerry Wieland; 11-06-2016 at 09:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Wieland View Post
    Nice bike - hope you took a ton of pictures. Getting that dampner rod out can be a challenge. You probably will not be able to save it. Stat soaking and them I use heat and a hammer. Worst case you might have to drill the center out of it from the bottom. Only the bottom 1 1/2" is a tight fit.

Jerry
    You guys are getting all the pictures as I take 'em.

I'm going to let that damper set and marinate in the brew for a while. Ideally, I am imagining I tap the top a bit and it falls right out, yes? Is there a penalty for beating from the top as opposed to drilling from the bottom?

I counted 32 balls that fell out when I pulled the springer. Is that the right number? Sixteen top and bottom?
    Last edited by govmule84; 11-06-2016 at 10:09 PM.

Study this and you'll understand where it is stuck...

Robbie Knight Amca #2736