Thread: 20J Oversize Exhaust Valves

Default 20J Oversize Exhaust Valves

Hello folks, those that have been following my build thread will know that I have the top end off at the moment and something I have noticed is that the exhaust valves are very loose in their guides.

The guides seem to me to be part of the cylinder casting and (if I am right) then I assume that the remedy for this is to ream the guide to an oversize and fit valves with oversize stems. Is this correct?

If I am correct then is there a source of oversize valves? I could only find standard size valves on CD's website. I could source valves from a different vehicle that are slightly oversize and modify them but if there is a tried and tested remedy for this issue I donít want to start re-inventing the wheel.

Thanks,

John

i don't have access to a 20 parts book, but i'd be surprised if 20 models did not have replaceable guides. 21-24 and 25-29 models had removable guides.
    pn 184-21 is listed for 1921-24 i my 22-27 parts book.

Steve
    That's only on 74" models. 61" models did not have replaceable guides.
    Mark

Thanks guys. On second thoughts I went back and checked CD's listing for the valves and they are oversize but are not listed as such, my bad.

The stems are about 0.010" bigger than my existing ones so hopefully that will be enough to take up the wear.

John