Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Just an observation.

Florida Between Weeki Wachee & Saint Petersburg

Thumbs up

What A Picture!!!!!!!!!!

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by jorrow View Post
    Why is it that you have a club filled with such amazing bikes, and many remain hidden in members locations?
    Jorrow - it is a good idea. I am compiling a list of Forum changes I would like to promote and I will add this one.

Mike Love
    AMCA Forum

Quote Originally Posted by exeric View Post
    Looking at the total apathy of most all AMCA members regarding this forum, I don't see anything ever happening. I have brow beat my friends to come here and participate on this (our) forum, but I guess everyone is over at the AMCA Facebook page, exchanging brownie recipes.
    Eric - I think one thing about the classic vBulletin forums is it takes a little effort to get familiar with using them, Facebook is nearly instant gratification. The platform was made for smartphones as well which just increases that instant gratification deal. I have tried to do moderation tasks for this forum on the phone and while its not impossible, it is a little cumbersome. The beauty of this and similar forums I am a member on like XL Forum, Jockey Journal, Garage Journal is that it has depth and more powerful self contained features. People may have tried to get into the forum and it wasn't intuitive. Heck I would be on the forum just to be able to follow build threads like pistonbulley, shakyjake, boschEv and others. Lets keep throwing spaghetti against the wall and see if we can get it to stick.

Mike Love
    AMCA Forum

Quote Originally Posted by ihrescue View Post
    Eric - I think one thing about the classic vBulletin forums is it takes a little effort to get familiar with using them, Facebook is nearly instant gratification. The platform was made for smartphones as well which just increases that instant gratification deal. I have tried to do moderation tasks for this forum on the phone and while its not impossible, it is a little cumbersome. The beauty of this and similar forums I am a member on like XL Forum, Jockey Journal, Garage Journal is that it has depth and more powerful self contained features. People may have tried to get into the forum and it wasn't intuitive. Heck I would be on the forum just to be able to follow build threads like pistonbulley, shakyjake, boschEv and others. Lets keep throwing spaghetti against the wall and see if we can get it to stick.

Mike Love
    AMCA Forum
    Mike, great points.

along with your comments about virtues of face book, now there are two JD facebook pages, one European and one USA. the facebook pages have all but killed JD Yahoo Groups. As a forum, face book IS NOT. great info gets buried quickly, searches are not easy to find things and between the 2 JD facebooks there are 2,018 members. many big name JD people are regularly on JD facebook. my understanding of at least part of the problem is an antipathy towards AMCA and dues.....? i know some guys have voiced liking CAIMAG cuz it's free..... myself, i can't imagine not supporting AMCA because it is the original voice and venue for old, older and oldest motorcycles and this forum is, imho, the best. Before facebook pretty much killed JD Yahoo Groups, i got much needed advice, support and experience shared with me. Now even JD grps members (including me) are on JD facebook. i get it that's immediate, easy to communicate via messaging, and it has been helpful to me. it seems a forum and facebook have their appropriate purpose. probably nothing to be done. what i also do know i got alot of tremendous help and encouragement on this forum when i was getting my '27 together and so i try to honor the AMCA and continue to participate on this forum with my appreciation. but then, i have also been known to be loyal to my own detriment.
    Last edited by Steve Swan; Today at 12:50 AM.

Ditto Steve and Mike, let's improve this site. I'm not on FB nor do I have a cell phone, the AMCA forum is and should continue to be the first and best place for all lovers of antique motorcycles to come to for information, sharing and encouragement from each other.

There is such a wealth of knowledge that is freely shared that it reaffirms, at least to me, there are decent and helpful people out there making this crusty old earth a better place for us all.