Thread: 28 X 3 Tire recommendation

Default 28 X 3 Tire recommendation

Hello Friends
    It's about time to replace tires on my 1915 Twin. Is there a tire out there that gets better than 300 some miles? What are your experiences? Thanks
    NL967A

I've used Coker 28 X 3 car tires on my early sidecar rigs for years, NOT the motorcycle tires. The Non Skid and Button head tread patterns look cool but aren't worth a **** if you plan to ride them, very soft rubber and weak sidewalls.

There are 2 different ones available, one is a diamond tread EXCELSIOR model tire, SKU # 79250. The other is a Coker, Commander I believe, ribbed tread pattern SKU # 79200. Look in the catalog, not necessarily in the motorcycle section.

These car tires have a much stiffer sidewall and heavier load capacity. They may have a harder tread compound too. Because of the stiffer sidewall, you will need tire tools to get them on and off. I challenge anybody to do this without tools! They are also made for slightly wider rims, which makes it tougher to get them on. Because of the wider lip, you may have to cut a small hole in the lip for the valve stem. Corky Coker **** a brick when I told him this!

Anyway, I've had great luck with them, been using them for 25 years.

Gene

027.jpg
    the tire Gene s talk n about.
    gww57.com