Thread: JD valve stem/guide lubrication

Default JD valve stem/guide lubrication

'Operating with today's unleaded fuel, where do the exhaust valve guides/stems/ get their lubrication from ? Should a lubricant be added to the gasoline and if so, what is recommended ?

Steve,

I believe a lubricant is needed. I use a good grade of synthetic 2 stroke oil added to the fuel. This burns very clean and leaves virtually no residue. I add about an ounce every fill up, maybe more, nothing scientific here. Seems to work well on the total loss engines. It will help lubricate the intake valves a bit. Some guys do the same with Marvel Mystery Oil, but I've heard 2nd hand from a petroleum engineer not to do this, as it lowers the octane significantly and causes knocking and damage to your engine.

Let the oil in your fuel debate begin, again.........

Gene

Default Re: JD valve stem/guide lubrication

Hello Steve,

Here in the UK we have some specific products that are designed as a lead replacement additive in fuel. The two mosts well known are

A Castrol product:

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-6519-cas...-additive.aspx

And a Miller product:

http://www.millersoils.co.uk/automot...-additives.asp

Although there are several others.

Both products not only act as a lead replacement but also boost the octane by 1 or 2 points. Miller has a product (see link) that claims to add ethanol protection although I have not used it because, at the moment, I am able to buy ethanol free gas.

The Miller product is said to be better than the Castrol one but the Castrol one is a quarter of the price. You take your pick.

I cant imagine that there are not similar products available in the USA.

I have always been OK with Castrol Valvemaster and it has the added bonus of having a great dispenser built into the bottle so it is easy to use.

John

Oh, and I meant to add that I dont think these products are much more expensive than really good 2 stroke oil.
    Last edited by TechNoir; 09-13-2016 at 01:33 PM. Reason: I cant spell

Thanks John, for sharing your experience. Will give it all some though, see what's available here and go from there.

I have used marvel mystery oil in my pan for 25+ years with no adverse effects. Anyone's guess if it really helps. An old timer told me this when leaded gas was discontinued.