Thread: Wheels - Spokes

Default Wheels - Spokes

I few weeks back I was looking for used spokes to try my hand at making up a few sets of wheel from hubs/rims I had. As a general question, the rear hub is typically wider than the front. Are the rear spokes (or rim) generally different than the front spokes (or rim) ? It seems that the rear spokes would have a different angle to accommodate the wider hub ??
    Thanks
    Dan

Dan, from my experience the spokes are Bent at 85 degrees or 95 degrees based on the direction the spoke is passing through the flange. I expect you are right about the exact angle but withe the play between the spoke and hole it must not be critical. Or maybe I am not aware of how precisely others are doing it
    Dan Margolien
    Yankee Chapter National Meet August 3/4 2018 NEW LOCATION at the TERRYVILLE FAIRGROUNDS, Terryville CT http://www.bing.com/local?lid=YN873x...ir&FORM=SNAPST
    Yankeechapter.org
    pocketvalve@gmail.com
    JD enthusiasts: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/harleyjd/

Quote Originally Posted by danf19 View Post
    I few weeks back I was looking for used spokes to try my hand at making up a few sets of wheel from hubs/rims I had. As a general question, the rear hub is typically wider than the front. Are the rear spokes (or rim) generally different than the front spokes (or rim) ? It seems that the rear spokes would have a different angle to accommodate the wider hub ??
    Thanks
    Dan
    Of course, it is usual for the hub and rim to be matched to one another for a specific fitting ( year, make and model of bike) and the holes in the rim be drilled at the proper angle. As well the lacing pattern for the intended hub/rim combination is important (e.g.. cross 2, cross 3, cross 4) and the offset of the rim in relation to the hub and the direction of the rim to the direction of the hub to which it was originally fitted. And the gauge of spoke originally specified. All this can affect the head angle on a spoke and spoke suppliers always want to know the details in order to send you the right ones.
    AFJ

I had http://www.buchananspokes.com do my spokes on a 1923 Harley JD. Very nice. I sent them powder coated hub and rim. I sent them a photo of my rear wheel to show them the spoke pattern. I asked for the same spoke diameter as the rear wheel for safety.
    Bill Gilbert in Oregon

I have bare steel spokes from Buchanans togehter with 2-flat sided nipples. I realised that the nipple thread is very loose on the spoke.

Does anybody have experience with this combination?
    I thought they maybe made the spokes with a slighly loose thread as people normally have them plated before assembly?

Original spokes I have for my 1923 Harley fit way better with NOS WL Spoke nipples, but these are too tight on the Buchanan spokes.

I would contact Buchanan's. This loose nipples are not safe.
    Bill Gilbert in Oregon