Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 65 Panhead Hardware

Yeah, anodized aluminum, my bad. You not wrong bro' was talking too fast :-)
    Ray
    AMCA #7140

Quote Originally Posted by rbenash View Post
    Yeah, anodized aluminum, my bad. You not wrong bro' was talking too fast :-)
    "I thought I was wrong once", Ray!

But as the old saying goes: "I was mistaken".

As an attempt to get back to topic, I still haven't a tank striping scheme that I can document for my 3.5g shifter tanks other than from a coffee-table book. (Apologies in advance,...)
    I know the public would accept just about anything, but I hate to offend a judge. Well maybe not.

So many restorations have the striping curve exaggerated on the 5g tanks, that its hard to trust modern representations for the 3.5s either.
    I fear the '64 scheme (attached) was used into the '65 production, however its an assumption it would be on civvy machines as well.

A fellow posted his '65 red/birch tanks years ago with the '64 scheme, but I unfortunately only saved it as a thumbnail, and forgot his name as well.

Nonetheless, any genuine measurements of the striping widths would be tremendously appreciated by my painter. I have two personal '65 machines to complete before I can retire.
    Many thanks in advance,

....Cotten
    Attached Images Attached Images
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Upsrod!

Facebook doesn't accept my cookies.... ( the listing is "unavailable". )
    But he AMCA forum does.

Thanks anyway.

...Cotten
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 03-23-2017 at 05:50 PM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Only picture that I have Tom. Very close to a reversed 1963 but lower to clear the shift gate.

Hey Cotten!

Hah in this case - I wasn't mistaken, I was wrong :-) I know the covers are anodized aluminum and gave the wrong message, thanks for catching it.

Can't help on 3.5 tanks. I do have orginal paint and a direct copy from them on my resto of the set of the 5's.
    Ray
    AMCA #7140

Hi, Just Building a Rider but would like it to look as close to stock with out going BROKE.

1) The following are repop that i purchased Footboards, Mirrors , Brake & Clutch Cables , Chrome Fender Trim , Tank Trim , Seat Post , Buddy Saet ( Have OEM Solo ) Wiring Harness, Regulator, .50 OS TRW Pistons

2) Can you tell me did all 65's have a plug to grease comp sprocket or was that a King Of The Road update

3) I know the tins should be anodized but I like a little chrome

4) Rear crash bars I have seen 3/8 dia and 1/2 dia were they mount to the shocks was there a early and late and were was the brake

5) And as far as the a/c cover the S7S carb is history just got a M-74 rebuilt and a A/C with the center screw mounting ( steel chrome)

6) The following pictures is what i started with part time 17 months ago.Tom's 65 Panhead 007.jpg004.jpg

018.jpg032.jpgTom's 65 Panhead 012.jpg

P.S Iam 62 years old and this is the 1st time ever doing anything like this but have had alot FUN:

All the 65s and early 66 primary covers that I've seen have the plug, Harley put out a service bulletin telling dealers to quit greasing the compensator mid 66 and they got rid of the plugs late 66 and up.