Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: 65 Panhead Hardware

Actually, I just registered for the Southern National Meet in Denton, going to trailer down, wish there was a way I could camp early and ride over to the kick start classic, but at least I will get the FL out in the open for the first time since about 2012. After my wife got Cancer and then she passed, I kind of lost interest.
    http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/bbo...php?albumid=46
    John Underwood
    AMCA#14400
    Central Illinois

Awesome John!

Hey John - welcome back. Just FYI I have original accessory white mudflaps with the metal strip.

Just can't get my self to put holes in the fenders now to mount them.

Was thinking about selling them but will probably just keep them for my survivor to sell with the bike :-)

I seem to recall your '65 was your Father's bike? Did he remove the fishtails? They were an item that the previous owner of my Father's '65
    removed to make it look like a "new" Harley and replaced with AMF style mufflers.

I new that owner well and new where he kept those mufflers, the half moon boards he removed along with the bag rails etc. They were above his garage. I went to grade school thru high school with his son. He also experimented with his pinstirping skills on the original paint sheet metal - which luckily I still have and were used with the color matching for Hi Fi Blue.

That owner got divorced, his wife sold the house and some very rare parts got lost.... and I spent a good bit of time finding NOS replacements.
    Last edited by rbenash; 04-05-2017 at 01:43 PM.
    Ray
    AMCA #7140

Default Paint

On another note. I know there are great folks out there doing paint work on Hi Fi color matching, etc.

Things is that all of the new mixes use mylar not silver flakes in the undercoat. That's what makes the resto Hi Fi colors look "off"

Paul Friebus mixed real silver undercoat for my bike - yes, he had a can of HD silver powder and mixed the undercoat himself.

The other thing that folks do wrong with Hi Fi colors is that they put a clear coat on top along with the mylar silver base - it just doesn't
    reflect light as the original.

Original hi fi had silver based undercoat and the translucent coat and NO clear coat.

Paul Friebus custom mixed the base and the translucent Hi Fi blue on my bike to match the original paint metal I provided.

When side by side at meets with factory Hi Fi Blue you can't tell the difference as a result.

As far as the white and striping on the tanks - same thing. He custom mixed the white to match. As far as the striping and white pattern on
    the tanks he used the originals as a model. He used mics from the badge mount holes to measure and match the track of the white paint and
    striping curvature and did an exact replication using that method.

HD didn't do or have any real paint patterns for '65 IMHO in that they did each tank half as a one off. All original '65's if you look under the seat towards the
    front will show and offset or mismatch on the white paint striping when mounted on the bike between the tank halves as a result.

I show those photos on previous posts.

Getting that white pattern and striping right is HARD and most people get it wrong. The also get the Hi Fi colors wrong too, Hi Fi Blue being the hardest to
    get right IMHO.

Just some random thoughts. If doing a restoration best to do solid colors instead IMHO.
    Last edited by rbenash; 04-05-2017 at 01:55 PM.
    Ray
    AMCA #7140

Great looking bike John. Sorry to hear about your wife!
    Craig (Delaware)
    AMCA Member #1011

Quote Originally Posted by craig (DE) View Post
    Great looking bike John. Sorry to hear about your wife!
    Ditto, ditto and again ditto!

So cool that you'll get that '65 back out again!
    Ray
    AMCA #7140

Getting close