Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 65 Panhead Hardware

Am I missing something?
    Clairvoyance....
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

It's nice to have a pertinent parts book for your project, but it isn't a must have, due to their inaccuracy. There was a parts book issued for the 1965, with a supplement for the 66/67 models.
    VPH-D

Thanks Ray this is were I am now see picturesAttachment 18227Attachment 18228Attachment 18229Attachment 18230

Have a look at the 65 Pan thread. It is a few years old and has a lot of questions and answers. If your asking about correct bolts, you must be looking to restore the old dear. Patience, cash, and swap meets are the essential ingredients. Good luck and post some pics of before if your up to it. Forget the last bit. I see your well into it
    Last edited by Steve Little; 09-14-2016 at 11:02 PM.
    Steve Little
    Upper Yarra Valley. Victoria.
    Australia.
    AMCA member 1950

Hi harleycats - I'd have to echo Steve Little. Looks like you are already well into it. His advice is wise. Getting the paint on the tanks right is hard to do. Hi Fi blue itself is hard to get to match
    the original. Your work looks fine. But without being in the shop and looking at things close up I really can't comment.

I have some photos posted, actually a lot that you should see if you look back at the old threads Steve mentions.

Good luck on your project. No matter what you'll have a great bike at the end.

It's a different thing if you plan to have it judged as a '65 restoration.

The level of detail is pretty serious for the year.

But in the end who cares. You're preserving a vintage piece of history and putting it back on the road.

All good.
    Ray
    AMCA #7140

Harleycats
    This is the thread we were relating to.
    http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/bbo...d-Book-Project.

Got any "before" pictures of your project? Pictures keep us entertained.
    Steve Little
    Upper Yarra Valley. Victoria.
    Australia.
    AMCA member 1950

This is were I am todayAttachment 19366Attachment 19367

Keep up the good work.

Looking good. Not sure how accurate you want to be.

First look, limited by the photo details.

The tail light lens is the wrong style, original was the shallow version - originals are getting salty so if you aren't getting judged wouldn't worry about it.

Cylinders were not black they were painted with the silver high temp paint. Should also be the versions that had the external oil passage (y pipe) for oil deliver to the rockers/top end.

Timing cover looks like 66 or later or repro? Original is one year cover, sand cast and should have the top screw with the oil passage in it that feed the external y pipe to feed oil
    to the rockers.

Rocker covers were stainless, not chrome.

Breather cover is the wrong style should be the round stainless version.

Turn signal housings aren't same as originals they are getting hard to find as well. They have the external number on the housings which is a good way to tell other than the overall style of the ones on your bike. Those versions are also getting hard to find.

But then - if you aren't concerned about judging, etc don't worry about it. It's looking pretty nice.

If you are planning to have it judged - looks like a repaint? If so it will be judged as a restoration, which will make it hard.

Incorrect style grips.

Mirrors are clamp on which is correct, should have the harley stamping on the stems and slot heads where the mirrors attach to the stems.

Looks like you are having fun with it - like that lift too!

Not trying to pick the bike apart, just figured this discussion is about '65 hardware accuracy, so that's the reason for comment.
    Last edited by rbenash; 03-23-2017 at 08:29 AM.
    Ray
    AMCA #7140

Quote Originally Posted by rbenash View Post
    ...Rocker covers were stainless, not chrome. ...
    Gosh Folks,

All the 65s I've owned and built for others had anodized aluminum pan covers. Are we talking about the same thing?

....Cotten
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!