Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hike in dues to Canadian members is unacceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by hogchild71 View Post
    Joe
    FYI: There are 825 Canadian members in Antique Motorcycle Club of America.
    Though you may suspect or surmise that there is a better way, at this time; there ain't.
    If you would like to contact me, Fred Davis, AMCA Director of Chapters or any AMCA Board member, do not hesitate to call or email at any time. We are here to serve you.
    419-577-1664 frednan2@gmail.com.
    Best regards, Fred
    Fred,
    Are you sure that 825 number of "Canadian members" isn't the total of non-USA AMCA members which would include Canadian and International members?
    As of the 2013 financial reports it looks to me like about 303 Canadian resident AMCA members and 406 International AMCA members.
    I see in a 2015 Board report that the whole membership was just under 11,000.
    AFJ

I sold a cheap repro headlight on ebay to a Canadian and the shipping cost more than the part. It was my fault for not doing the proper postal research, but none the less, I got hosed. I agree with the above comments; the AMCA is a U.S. based club and shipping to foreign countries costs a lot more. We are a great club, and an international club, but there are logistical realities.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Hi Joe. I am one of the Board members and the only Canadian. I can assure you the Board struggled with what is fair for all for a year.To say we are ignorant and our heads up, I mean in the sand, is unfair. When we looked into the dues structure last year, we quickly discovered that Canadian postal rates had gone up much more rapidly than mailing costs elsewhere since the previous dues increase 13 years ago. As hard as it is to believe, that means it really does cost as much for us to deliver a magazine to a member in Toronto as it does to one in Paris, even though we use an international mailing service to bulk-ship magazines into Canada (and Europe). The real ignorant people here is our Federal Government who have ridiculous postal rates compared to the USA. Why do so many of us drive to the USA to mail our parts or to pick them up..... Hell of a lot cheaper.

In the end, the Board made the decision that we had to adjust the Canadian dues to reflect that cost, since we had a situation in which members here in the U.S. were essentially subsidizing the cost of magazine delivery to Canadian members.

We have seen the same issue when it comes to shipping of AMCA calendars to members outside the U.S. A few years ago, we had to break out the shipping costs separately when we discovered that the cost of mailing a calendar was sometimes greater than the entire amount we were getting for them.

We know that this increase has hit our Canadian members hardest, but these costs are out of our control, and the new dues structure just corrects an imbalance that had built up over a number of years. As a Canadian I was the first to ask all the hard questions. Bottom line our country's postal rates are some of the worst in the world. For me personally I would never not pay the dues due to politics or whatever. As a member since 1973 I wait sometimes for a long time for my magazine. That is why we are working so hard to sort out the new online version of the magazine. Maybe some day there will be a hard copy price and a virtual price . We're discussing this very topic.Last word,it's my favourite motorcycle magazine of them all. I also pay more at Chapters for other MC magazines than what the US price says in the corner too. The Board is working hard, and as Fred says, just ask the question and we'll do our best to find out for you.I'm off to my old MC meeting and my 45 awaits.
    Ross

Yes, I understand it would cost more to Edmonton vrs California. However, it would cost more again to Germany, France or Sweden wouldn't it?. That is my beef. The AMCA just bluntly rated Canada just like it was located in Europe or something like that. My Indian 4 club dues are the same for Canada and USA. My Laughing Indian dues are the same for Canada and USA. More for overseas like it autta be. I think 3 or 4 bucks over USA rates is generaouse and fair. I dont expect anything for nothing but I dont want to subsidize mailing overseas...US needs our oil, our timber, our Hydro Electric Power and also our Water. We just want to be a member, keep some of your mags if you cant afford to mail them, I dont care because I never read them cover to cover anyway. If mailing is an issue, sell the extra mags separately.
    Joe AMCA# 3435

Since you can now read the entire magazine online, how about just make the dues the same as the US and dont send a magazine.....
    just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by partshunt View Post
    Yes, I understand it would cost more to Edmonton vrs California. However, it would cost more again to Germany, France or Sweden wouldn't it?. That is my beef. The AMCA just bluntly rated Canada just like it was located in Europe or something like that. My Indian 4 club dues are the same for Canada and USA. My Laughing Indian dues are the same for Canada and USA. More for overseas like it autta be. I think 3 or 4 bucks over USA rates is generaouse and fair. I dont expect anything for nothing but I dont want to subsidize mailing overseas...US needs our oil, our timber, our Hydro Electric Power and also our Water. We just want to be a member, keep some of your mags if you cant afford to mail them, I dont care because I never read them cover to cover anyway. If mailing is an issue, sell the extra mags separately.
    Why don't you do a little research on Canadian post costs. Ross just wrote that it costs as much to ship from US to Canada as it does from US to Europe. If that is true, then you may want to send your gripe to Canadian Post officials and not to the AMCA. I agree that rising costs are a pain in the backside but you may be directing your frustration at the wrong people.

Allen
    You are correct that there are not 825 Canadian AMCA members. My National roster shows both active and cancelled members, and I forgot to subtract the cancelled ones. The actual count of Canadian members is closer to 400. My apologies to all for my mistake.
    Fred.
    Fred Davis AMCA #9176

Allen
    You are correct that there are not 825 Canadian AMCA members. My National roster shows both active and cancelled members, and I forgot to subtract the cancelled ones. The actual count of Canadian members is closer to 400. My apologies to all for my mistake.
    Fred.
    Fred,
    No need to apologize. It seems the mail-out/membership house report is the cause of confusion. Long ago, when I was Treasurer for the CVMG, I used to track the membership remittances against the mail-out numbers each month to see that we were sending out all the magazines members had paid for so I did that check just as a matter of interest.
    I note that a British motorcycle monthly air mailed to Canada is about $30 (C) extra for postage or about $2.50 (C) extra per issue. This is the similar to the extra $2.50 (US) per issue of The Antique Motorcycle. I do note that other magazines I get in Canada from both Canadian sources and other countries almost invariably come in a clear plastic wrapper. The Antique Motorcycle comes in a white composite envelope and perhaps comes at a premium postal cost for that reason?

In Canada, if a magazine mails 1,000 or more copies per issue it can get a preferred mailing rate if the copies are pre-sorted to certain postal sorting station requirements by the mail-out house. And this rate allows the magazine to go unwrapped. These factors bring the mailing cost per magazine down substantially.

Allan Johnson

Allen
    Your numbers are right on, Canada has 304 active members as of this morning. I know this thread is about cost of shipping The Antique Motorcycle to foreign members but thought folks would like to see a member count by Country. So here goes; Australia-110, Austria-6, Belgium-11, Bermuda-1, Brazil-1, Canada-304, Cyprus-1, Czech Rep.-2, Denmark-8, Estonia-1, Finland-9, France-12, Germany-52, Iceland-1, Indonesia-1, Ireland-3, Israel-1, Italy-17, Japan-8, Latvia-1, Netherlands-55, New Zealand-24, Norway-12, Oman-1, Poland-5, Singapore-2, S. Africa-2, Spain-2, Sweden-31, Switzerland-18, Thailand-2, UAR-1, UK-52, and USA-10,553
    Be aware that these numbers are accurate today but may change slightly by the day, as new and renewing memberships arrive and others allow their AMCA membership[ to lapse.
    Best regards to all, Fred.
    Fred Davis AMCA #9176

Ireland-3,
    Hey, this means I personally know 67% of the members in an entire country!