Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any tricks to getting it up on the Center Stand?

Simple solution is to cut a 45 on one end of a 6-8" 2x4, roll the rear wheel up on the board, the extra 1 1/2" will make it much easier to pull the bike up on the stand. Throw the board in your pack or saddlebags for on the road service.
    Kyle Oanes AMCA # 3046

And you can also use that 2x4 as a splint when the bike falls on your leg However, that is a good idea, Kyle.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

On a beautiful fall day in 1979 I had the idea to get some pictures of my motorcycles on the front lawn. I had my 75CH, 1945WL, 39EL, 61FLH, and 65FLH lined up for photos. As I moved the Electraglide in place my feet slipped on the freshly fallen and very slippery oak leaves. The heaviest of all fell on my legs and pinned me down. I couldn't escape this trap. The street was close by and had a fair amount of traffic, I was trying to wave somebody over to help but all they did was wave back and roll on. I can hear them, "What's that goofy hippy kid doing now". After a half hour or so, I managed to free myself, sacrificing my good jeans and a fair amount of flesh.
    Kyle Oanes AMCA # 3046

That is a funny story, Kyle. Mine involves my '41EL, a slick cement floor, and trying to bring it up on the rear stand wearing flip-flops. . . Use your imagination
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

I'm surprised at the difficulties mentioned here.
    Okay, I haven't tipped the 03 Road King over since before my back surgery, but the Chief really is easy to do with the tip-over, on a concrete floor or piece of plywood under side stand on gravel. Use a little momentum to rock it. And righting it is a small chore with that low center of gravity (still comparing it to a modern HD). I presume the scout is easier.
    That short 2x4 in the saddle bag can make a hero out of you too. ... and you can throw it at the smart-alecks.

It's not that it is difficult, it's more about trust in your side stand. I've seen more than a few broken original Indian side stands with a chunk of rebar welded into the inside channel
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Quote Originally Posted by exeric View Post
    It's not that it is difficult, it's more about trust in your side stand. I've seen more than a few broken original Indian side stands with a chunk of rebar welded into the inside channel
    might have been 18 years ago, loaded up "BIG LEAGUE" and halfway to Davenport, stopped to check the map (different route than usual). Set it on the center stand, sat on it and leaned back against the rear-heavy pile, and the bolts on the center stand sheared.
    I've seen the frame castings broken on other frames, so I know I'm lucky. I might recommend grade-2 bolts anymore.

Geez, you guys are scaring me! I skipped out today for a ride (200 miles) and while waiting for my buddy to arrive at our rendezvous point I noticed my chain adjuster on the LH side was hanging loose.... and I had just adjusted the chain the day before. Long story short...I didn't fully tighten the axle nut...so up on the center stand it went....leaned over on the 1946 side stand then up onto the center stand. Full disclosure...thanks to this thread I fully supported the bike on my thighs when I leaned it over onto the side stand, just in case!
    Pisten Bulley is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

You could try building one of these nifty contraptions...or email the guy on YouTube to see if he sell them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdcgGddTclQ

I broke my jiffy stand foot off tilting it over onto it to get the bike on the center stand. I know just put the jiffy stand down all the way, flip the center stand until it touches the ground and the grab the rear crash bar and pull it up, rolling it up onto the center stand. I have done this for the 16 years I've owned my Chief. Gettin' older, though.............................