Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any tricks to getting it up on the Center Stand?

Default Any tricks to getting it up on the Center Stand?

I have a 1940 Sport Scout that I am having a problem getting it up on the center stand without 2 people.
    Any tricks of the trade to make this happen with one person?
    Thanks

Default 640b center stand

Quote Originally Posted by rickcioppa View Post
    I have a 1940 Sport Scout that I am having a problem getting it up on the center stand without 2 people.
    Any tricks of the trade to make this happen with one person?
    Thanks
    As written in the Military 640B "Operation and Maintenance Manual" Page O-5 (Operation)
    There is a release lever directly in back of the transmission on the left side. Pull the release lever out away from the machine and the center stand will drop down. This cannot be released until the jiffy stand is out. With the machine resting on it's jiffy stand, swing the weight of the machine over onto the jiffy stand and the center stand will automatically swing itself forward by means of a spring to a position where the machine can be straightened up onto the center stand alone.

Every bike I've ever owned with a center stand was different and a new learning experience. Once you figure out the right combination, it's usually quite easy. Sorta like sex-if it hurts maybe you're doing it wrong...
    Rich

I have the same problem on my 640B. It just seems like the center stand is too tall. I am tall and it takes everything I have to get it up there. Jerry

Hi,
    On my 53 Chief, I don't want to risk breaking my side stand or center stand, so I use a floor jack to lift the bike up and then I deploy the center stand. I typically only use the center stand for maintenance procedures. For certain year Chiefs, different center stands were used if the bike had 4.50 X 18 tires vs 5.00 X 16 tires. Tire height is a major factor is how well a center stand works. I don't know if different center stands were offered on Scouts if different tire sizes were used, but if a Scout runs 5.00 X 16 tires, it will sit lower to the ground than if it runs 4.50 X 18 tires. Something to consider.

Anyone ever tried leaning it over on the side stand and front wheel, then lowering the center stand and leaning it back to the center stand and leaving the bike tipped and supported by three points: 1) side stand, 2) center stand, 3) front wheel ?

This method is how the Rider's Manual tells you how to remove the rear tire....but I'd be a nervous wreck doing it that way!

Like this:

Last edited by pisten-bully; 11-01-2016 at 09:59 AM.
    Pisten Bulley is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

I don't know about the scouts but the correct chief method in the video is also a good way to dump battery acid all over your bike.
    Tom

Hi,
    Here are two more photos of guys leaning the bikes over to put the center stand down. I have had my bike tip over - and it isn't fun. I personally wouldn't try this method. A period photo of a guy putting his center stand down.jpgBob Stark leaning his bike to lower the center stand.jpg

Every time I put my Chief on the center stand (using the above method), I speculated on how badly MY leg would be broken if the jiffy stand broke
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886