Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: 1920 Harley Model F

First off, the lower race that you got is incorrect. It's an earlier style. Will it work? It depends on if it is actually heat treated correctly.
    Your order of assembly is correct on the forks. Where did you get the springs and how long are they? Often, the springs that are supplied are the longest style as used on later models and need to be cut to length.
    Mark

Default Re: 1920 Harley Model F

Quote Originally Posted by MMasa View Post
    First off, the lower race that you got is incorrect. It's an earlier style. Will it work? It depends on if it is actually heat treated correctly.
    Mark
    Thanks Mark. I got the bearings from Competition Distributing and the bottom cone was marked like this:

Is there another supplier for the bottom cone?

Your order of assembly is correct on the forks.
    Mark
    Thanks. It made sense to assemble them like that but I just needed to check that I wasnt having a blonde moment.

Where did you get the springs and how long are they? Often, the springs that are supplied are the longest style as used on later models and need to be cut to length.
    Mark
    The bike came with 2 sets of long springs 3 were the same length and the fourth was about 1/8" shorter. I used the best 2 of equal length, they are 17 1/8 inches long.

The short springs came with the bike also and are 8 7/8 inches long.

I am pretty sure that the short springs and one set of long springs are original to the bike. The guy who dismantled it before I got it has saved everything else so I doubt he would have tossed the fork springs.

Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Default Re: 1920 Harley Model F

Thanks Eric. I didnít want to start using brute force if there was a better way. I will up my game a bit and get them together.

That diagram is great. What book is it from?

I did check my copy of Modern Motorcycle Mechanics but it does not have much info on forks.

John

I think that Jim Denney in New York State did a run of them recently.
    I would trust ANYTHING that Jim makes to be of the highest possible quality.
    I'll try to remember to call him tomorrow and ask.
    Mark

20151208_135036.jpg 20160128_112450.jpg

Hi John,

I have attached photos of a jig which I made for my front forks to compress the springs enough to then allow me to screw the caps on. Hopefully the images comes out ok.

Thanks,
    James

I think that Jim Denney in New York State did a run of them recently.
    I would trust ANYTHING that Jim makes to be of the highest possible quality.
    I'll try to remember to call him tomorrow and ask.
    Mark
    Mark, thanks for the tip. I did google Jim Denney but couldn't find him. If you could speak to him and pass on my details it would be much appreciated.

John

Quote Originally Posted by 26harleyj View Post
    20151208_135036.jpg 20160128_112450.jpg

Hi John,

I have attached photos of a jig which I made for my front forks to compress the springs enough to then allow me to screw the caps on. Hopefully the images comes out ok.

Thanks,
    James
    James, thanks for the pictures, they are very clear.

I had pondered on using something like a car coil spring compressor but your setup is much better. If you don't mind I will copy it.

I have a bit of time to sort it out because it looks like I need to change the bottom cone and I am still waiting for new spokes to arrive.

Thanks.

John

Hi John,

this is a great thread, not sure if you've sust the rust prevention issue but this stuff is good.
    GIBBS.jpg
    I think I got it from Fareham, I've got a card somewhere at home.
    Take care
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi tibbs View Post
    Hi John,

this is a great thread, not sure if you've sust the rust prevention issue but this stuff is good.
    GIBBS.jpg
    I think I got it from Fareham, I've got a card somewhere at home.
    Take care
    Tony
    Thanks Tony. I did consider getting some Gibbs but I read somewhere that it leaves surfaces dry (which is good) but slippery (which is not so good).

I want something that does not change the look of the rusty patina too much. You have used Gibbs, what do you think, is it worth me buying a can to try?
    Last edited by TechNoir; 02-08-2016 at 03:14 PM. Reason: I cant spell!