Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: An Englishman in England

Hi
    Chris also from England, just North of Portsmouth, currently running a 1927 J model, and re building a 1949 Korea war WLA, along with running a modern breakout.
    Nice to see the Triumph, good job, Here we go "I used to have one back in the day", traded a 250cc Yamaha YDS7, for 650 triumph as soon as I past my test, (It was slower !!!) Happy days, I could fix them back then, unlike the modern day machines.
    If you need a hand in locating parts or people then give me a call I will help if I can, or at least set you on to somebody who knows his friends aunties ex boyfriend who knows of a old boy that still builds gearboxes, you know how that works !, certainly improves geography locating parts or people.

Chris
    chris@cssurvey.co.uk
    Tel : 07967561743

Hello Chris, thanks for the message and offer of assistance. I will bear it in mind if I get stuck with anything. I am up in Yorkshire so not too close to your Manor.

As you might be able to tell from my small collection of bikes, I am not biased towards a particular style, era, make or model, bikes on my wish list range from Veteran Blackburns to Mk1 Fireblades. That said, as I get older I seem to be looking at older bikes more so I am looking forward to getting the HD up and running. I think it might be an interesting ride given that it only has a feeble rear brake. The 5T's brakes are bad enough and they are 18 years more advanced and there are double the number of them.

Quote Originally Posted by TechNoir View Post
    Hello Chris, thanks for the message and offer of assistance. I will bear it in mind if I get stuck with anything. I am up in Yorkshire so not too close to your Manor.

As you might be able to tell from my small collection of bikes, I am not biased towards a particular style, era, make or model, bikes on my wish list range from Veteran Blackburns to Mk1 Fireblades. That said, as I get older I seem to be looking at older bikes more so I am looking forward to getting the HD up and running. I think it might be an interesting ride given that it only has a feeble rear brake. The 5T's brakes are bad enough and they are 18 years more advanced and there are double the number of them.
    Blimey - well up Country !

If possible could you point out this brake thing !, I have a drum on the rear wheel but no one with any sense would refer to it as a brake, fortunately they do not go fast enough to require anything better (assuming you have at least 25 yards to stop in !
    Please post some progress photographs.

Chris

Default Re An Englishman in England

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisLewis View Post
    If possible could you point out this brake thing !, I have a drum on the rear wheel but no one with any sense would refer to it as a brake, fortunately they do not go fast enough to require anything better (assuming you have at least 25 yards to stop in !Chris
    Ha ha. I think that most cars and bikes pre WWII have dubious brakes and pre 1930ish I believe that they are mostly decorative rather than functional.

My "F" came with a sidecar that weighs a ton and is not braked so there is no way that is getting bolted on the side.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisLewis View Post
    Please post some progress photographs.Chris
    I already am doing. I have a build thread as per this link and also a parallel thread going on caimag forum.

http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/bbo...Harley-Model-F

TechNoir: looking thru your old posts - and ran across the photo of your '39 Speed Twin restoration! Very, very, very nice. I've now ridden my '48 5T over 750 miles since this past November. And enjoying it with guys in the AMCA locally in Daytona. Glad I purchased this bike. But wanted to show you a 'hybrid' build I did several years ago. Anything but a purist build . . . . took a junkyard 1969 250 Triumph and installed a 1969 BSA 441 motor (I know, I know) into the chassis as sort of a Cafe bike. Was fun to go thru every nut, bolt, spoke, seal, etc. and as a learning process - for someone new to bike building. 01.jpg03.jpgSM-TR25-BSA441-A.jpgSM-TR25-BSA441-B.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by sprangerny View Post
    took a junkyard 1969 250 Triumph and installed a 1969 BSA 441 motor (I know, I know) into the chassis as sort of a Cafe bike.
    Actually this sort of thing is not so uncommon over here in the UK and I quite like a lot of them.

Do you still have it?

John

John: yes, I still have the Triumph/BSA hybrid, cafe bike. Pretty quick, with a race-built motor and maybe 40 lbs lighter than a stock Triumph TR25W. Also shown is my completely stock 441 (but rebuilt motor). Both thumpers are fun to fire and run around our Upstate NY summer house. DS-Bikes.jpg

Something you've done before - and probably better. But this was my first time & had this clip in my files:

Hi sprangerny,

Your picture of the 2 bikes is brilliant, they both look great.

Also the slideshow of the Triumph/BSA hybrid Cafe racer is fantsatic. If you ever get time you could do a short build thread.

Upstate New York is a great place to ride (I imagine). I have only passed through once (on a stay in Manhatten one time we decided on the spur of the moment to take a road trip to Niagara and on the way back we went the scenic route). I remember it was Fall and remember thinking how the stories about how beautiful it is in Fall were true. I expect its a bit cold at the moment to test the limit of the tyres on up state new York back roads but it wont be long before it warms up a bit.. Here in the UK its just starting to get a bit milder after a couple of weeks of freezing temperatures and a few days of light snowfall.

John

By 'build thread'? Is there a place for that on this AMCA site? Could do a quick version, but not sure what format they use - or where that is located. Will look around inside the site.