Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: An Englishman in England

Default An Englishman in England

Hello folks I have just joined the AMCA and so thought I should introduce myself on the forum.

I have been a member of the VMCC for a few years but I have recently acquired an American bike that needs some TLC and so I figure that you guys might be the best to answer my questions and also you may be interested in both my recent acquisition and also my other bikes.

Currently I have 5 bikes as follows in order of age (oldest first)

1920 Harley Davidson "F" - project bike

1938 Triumph 5T Speed Twin (1939 model but first registered in Oct 38)

1959 Matchless G3C - project bike, this was going to be this winters project but has been pushed down the list by the HD

1997 Honda XR400

2003 Yamaha FZS 600

I mention the last 2 more "modern" bikes because they are both what can be described as "modern classics" Both are milestone bikes in their own right and in 20 or 30 years time they will be regarded as classics much the same as the above Harley or Triumph are now.

I will be starting the HD project soon so will post some updates in the relevant board as and when

Cheers, TechNoir.

Hello! Welcome and hope you have great luck with the H-D. Any pictures?? They area always appreciated!
    Jim

AMCA #6520

Dear TechNoir, nice collection! You may not know it but you are now a member of the European Chapter of the AMCA, with 320 members in 18 countries and mostly American bikes. Send me your Email address outside this forum if you would like our free newsletter. You can see back numbers and pictures at www.amca-europe.eu. Our next International Meet is 27-29 May in Raalte, Netherlands.

Thanks all.

Jim I will put up some pictures soon.

Steve I have sent a private message.

Hello folks, as requested here a a few pictures. I have not bothered with the Fazer, its much like any other Fazer and I doubt anyone is interested in it. I dont think anyone will be too interested in the XR either although I have put a couple of pics up because I mentioned it in my intro and it did start out as a project.

XR400 before & after

Matchless G3 project. Its a "C" engine but an LS chassis. I will build it in a pre-65 Trials style to match the engine because I like the look of the G3C.

38/9 Triumph before and after (before pic is just the frame & forks, I donít have any before pics of all the parts together)

1920 Harley as I got it.

My intention with this bike is to just re-assemble it with only essential repairs or replacements (such as bearings, rubber items or anything that is broken/missing).

I am not going to re-finish it.

It is pretty much all there so I am hoping that it should be straightforward.

Thanks for posting the pictures!! The H-D looks like a plastic model kit from Monogram! HAHA Your Triumph looks SUPER! You do some nice work!! Great projects!
    Jim

AMCA #6520

Default Re An Englishman in England

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Thanks for posting the pictures!! The H-D looks like a plastic model kit from Monogram! HAHA Your Triumph looks SUPER! You do some nice work!! Great projects!
    Thanks for the compliment Jim. I am hoping the HD will be easier than the Triumph.

The Triumph was a basket case that was incomplete and with a lot of the missing parts were 1 or 2 year only items so it took me ages to get everything together and finish it.

Welcome TechNoir....

That Triumph is stunning !!!!

As for your other bikes, they resemble the 'piles' I lovingly refer to as my current (ongoing) 'projects'. True beauty only appreciated by guys like us. Surely, you're a man after my own heart! Given the job you did on the Triumph, I'm sure each and every one of them will turn out to be equally spectacular.

To coin a tired, old phrase, Best regards to our colleagues on the other side of the pond!
    Bill Pedalino
    Huntington, New York
    AMCA 6755

Thanks for the words Bill. I will try and put a few pictures up in the Bike Build section as the HD comes together. At the moment I am mostly engaged in pre-Christmas stuff but I hope to get some time over my Christmas break to make a start so i will post on progress in the new year.

Dont expect the HD to look anything like the Triumph though, that was a full restoration, I want to try to preserve the HD. I will get it together to a useable condition and only then decide if I want to address anything cosmetically.

The HD pile looks pretty good from what I can tell... I think it will look great in that "distressed" look too. Looks like a fun and very interesting build for sure. I look forward to the BIKE BUILD page when you start it.
    Jim

AMCA #6520